Can I remote FTP to my free box's hard drive?

Scott
Hi all,

Sorry for my English - I am learning French.

I have just switched over to the Free.fr service in Paris, degroupage
total.

Everything is good so far.

I have a question - is it possible to connect remotely via FTP to the
freebox's hard drive?

Especially if I could connect to an external USB hard drive plugged
into the free box.

I would like to be able to do this without having my home computer
switched on.

Any advice would be great!

Many Thanks, Merci,

Scott

Scott
On Mar 5, 10:13 am, Vince wrote:
Scott a écrit:

Hi all,

Sorry for my English - I am learning French.

I have just switched over to the Free.fr service in Paris,
degroupage total.

Everything is good so far.

I have a question - is it possible to connect remotely via FTP to
the freebox's hard drive?

No.

--
Vince

Merci Vince! :)

Looks like I have to buy a Synology NAS then...

Scott

Scott
On Mar 5, 11:11 am, Florent Gilles <florent
+ wrote:
le 05/03/2007 10:19, Scott écrivit de sa plume alerte :

I have a question - is it possible to connect remotely via FTP to
the freebox's hard drive?
No.

Merci Vince! :)

Looks like I have to buy a Synology NAS then...

You can use your PC (or any router running Linux) to act as an FTP server
mounted on the Freebox hard drive, using fuseftp / curlftpfs.

This sounds good.
Is it tricky to set up?

Scott

Michel
le 05/03/2007 18:16, Scott écrivit de sa plume alerte :

+ wrote:

le 05/03/2007 10:19, Scott écrivit de sa plume alerte :

I have a question - is it possible to connect remotely via FTP to
the freebox's hard drive?

No.

Merci Vince! :)
Looks like I have to buy a Synology NAS then...

You can use your PC (or any router running Linux) to act as an FTP
server
mounted on the Freebox hard drive, using fuseftp / curlftpfs.

Hello,

As I understood, Scott does not wish to have his PC turned on...

This sounds good.
Is it tricky to set up?

Depends on the device the mount will be done.

From a PC using Linux, that's easy, you just have to install fuse and
curlftpfs packages, then set-up the mount in /etc/fstab partition table.

From a router, I don't know.

The problem is that the box will accept ftp connections only from
inside, not the remote connections.

Isn't it possible to configure the router so that incoming FTP
connections are routed back to the box, and of course either configure
the freebox's NAT to forward outside FTP connections to the router, or
turn off the freebox' router mode (in this case everything is sent to
the router) ?

This would give this route for FTP:

outside => freebox => router => freebox FTP server

I don't know, maybe it can work ?

Michel