Don't understand authentification mechanism using Sharepoint Web Services 2003 and SOAP

laurent.pujol
Hi,

I have to post documents (pdf, images..) and metadata into a
Sharepoint Portal server 2003 site
The application sends data from a VB6 application, so I have to call
Sharepoint Web Services with SOAP 3.0 (maybe there's another solution
?)

Here is my vb code :
Set soapClient3 = CreateObject("MSSOAP.SoapClient30")
soapClient3.MSSoapInit
"http://LOGIN:PASSWORD@my_server/_vti_bin/Dws.asmx?wsdl"
soapClient3.ConnectorProperty("AuthUser") = "LOGIN"
soapClient3.ConnectorProperty("AuthPassword") = "PASSWORD"

By specifying LOGIN:PASSWORD into MSSoapInit() instruction, I can
specify a user but I don't understand the mechanisms of
authentification ?
Which are the rights this user must have ? NT rights ? Sharepoint
rights ?

Thank you for your answers

Renaud COMTE [MVP]
This is a french newsgroup not the US one

For the authetification, you have to use an Sharepoint User which is a NT
user with SPS roles

Voila

Renaud COMTE [MVP]
http://www.clubSPS.org
http://blog.spsclerics.com/
[INFO] : Je me permet de rappeller l'importance de bien préciser la version
de SPS dans vos questions
cela eviterais des réponses erronées ou trompeuses comme récemment sur

la problématique de backup
Ca autoriserais aussi des tris plus efficaces via le moteur de recherche

Donc je vous propose donc de préfixer les posts via [SPS 2003] [SPS 2001]
[WSS]

"http://LOGIN:/_vti_bin/Dws.asmx?wsdl"