Etrange problem reseau (en)

dizzy_devil_be
Hi there!

I'm a student in IT and I'm trying to configure a Wireless Hotspot
(like to train my self a little bit ;o). I'm facing a strange problem
on my wireless hotspot.

This is the current configuration of the network:

Internet

Router eth0: 192.168.27.10 eth1: ISP DHCP client
| switch port4 VLAN2

Switch 192.168.27.4

port1 Access Point 192.168.27.20 VLAN 1 - Wireless clients
gw 192.168.27.10 VLAN 2 - Backbone
Can connect to mng and client net;
port2 Linux Box for Wireless clients mng -
Clients side eth0 10.10.10.1 VLAN1
port3 Linux Box for Wireless clients mng -
Backbone connection eth1 192.168.27.1 VLAN2

For mng of the net, the router works as DHCP server for the
192.168.27.0/24 so i can connect through the WiFi connection.

The Linux box acts as DHCP, DNS servers, gw and portal.

The AP broadcasts the hotspot net SSID, but there is also a hidden one
for mng.

A week ago everything was ok but the hdd of the Linux box died :oS
Fortunately i had made a backup. So i restored the config; It seemed to
work fine :

=B0The wireless clients could obtain an Ip address, DHCP and DNS server,
and gw values from the Linux box, but after that nothing works.

Meaning...
1=2E Try to ping the client gateway 10.10.10.1, no reply.
-> Linux box : tcpdump -i eth0 nothing comes in.

2=2E Ping 10.10.10.255 : same as above but now the packet comes in eth0,
the box replies but nothing comes to the client.

2=2E Plug a client directly to the 10.10.10.1, everything works, client
receives IP, can get the portal and have access to the Internet; ping
gw OK

3=2E Plug a client to another port on the switch, VLAN1, everything is
OK. ping gw OK

I think that the problem is on the switch configuration but how can i
check it? Doing a port mirroring of the traffic on port1 and then
sniffing the packets?

But then, as i can see the broadcasts can pass through (DHCP
transaction series, ping 10.10.10.255) how is it possible and the
others cannot? Is there a way of testing it?

Any ideas and advices are welcome ;o)=20

Thanx a lot,
Mike

Eric Lalitte
"dizzy_devil_be" wrote in message