ROBOCOPY: How to use HTTP for file replication with Robocopy.exe

abhishek.sharma
Hi,

I saw the following link :
http://www.devhood.com/tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=321

which says :
"A tool created by developers at Microsoft ... <b> copy gigs of files
from web servers </b>that are geographically far"

Can anyone tell me how to configure Robocopy to use HTTP for file
replication.

Thanking you,
Abhishek Sharma.
www.netdecisions.com

Marty List
"Abhishek Sharma" wrote in message
Hi,

I saw the following link :
http://www.devhood.com/tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id21

which says :
"A tool created by developers at Microsoft ... <b> copy gigs of files
from web servers </b>that are geographically far"

Can anyone tell me how to configure Robocopy to use HTTP for file
replication.

Thanking you,
Abhishek Sharma.
www.netdecisions.com

I don't think they meant it the way you are understanding it, they used
ROBOCOPY to copy files over SMB protocol, typical servershare scenario.
The machines just happened to eb web servers, it does not mean they used
HTTP to do this.

Explain in detail what it is you are trying to accomplish, and what is
allowed by the firewalls etc. to travel between the servers. There may be
other solutions, like:

WebDAV:
Part of IIS 5 and 6, allows file transfers through Explorer.
http://www.webdav.org/

WebDrive:
http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/

TeamDrive Document Sharing:
http://www.teamstream.com/product.htm

abhishek.sharma
Hi,

My requirement is as follows:

I have a box with CMS configured,first it will be publishing the
content to the local box, from here the content has to be distributed
across different IIS servers in an NLB setup. This content is the web
front end of an ecom portal.

If it can happen by using a protocol other then SMB then it would be
gr8.

Thanking you,
Abhishek Sharma.
www.netdecisions.com.
Marty List
"Abhishek Sharma" wrote in message
Hi,

My requirement is as follows:

I have a box with CMS configured,first it will be publishing the
content to the local box, from here the content has to be distributed
across different IIS servers in an NLB setup. This content is the web
front end of an ecom portal.

If it can happen by using a protocol other then SMB then it would be
gr8.

Thanking you,
Abhishek Sharma.
www.netdecisions.com.

Which "CMS" are you using? I thought that was the purpose of a content
management system, to manage the web server content for you.

Check out the eval versions of WebDrive and TeamDrive, they will let you map
a drive letter to a URL, and I assume they use HTTP to communicate. You
could use something like RoboCopy with one of these tools. There are other
products out there that are designed to do what you want, but they're very
expensive.