Sony Vaio notebook screen resolution

Mark
I installed Windows 2000 on a noteboook computer only to get really crappy
video resolution, even at BIOS startup. Therefore I cannot assume its driver
problem. Drivers for this notebook model are no longer available. Help.

Mike Walsh
Crappy video on a LCD is usually caused by using a non-native resolution. The BIOS screens are usually not at native resolution. You need to find out what the native resolution of the screen is and find a driver that will work at that resolution.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Grinder
Mark wrote:
I installed Windows 2000 on a noteboook computer only to get really crappy
video resolution, even at BIOS startup. Therefore I cannot assume its driver
problem. Drivers for this notebook model are no longer available. Help.

LCD monitors have a "native resolution" that corresponds to the actual
number of elements in the matrix. When you put a resolution less than
that to it, it can look pretty crappy. If Windows 2000 cannot determine
a specific enough video driver to allow for resolutions matching that
native resolution, you'll have to find better drivers. If you were to
tell us more about your computer, like the model number at the very
least, we might be able to help you.

Mark
Thanks, the model number is PCG-F160.
How can I tell what the native resolution is?

I use Aida 32 which may be able to tell me what the graphic chipset is ...
Paul
Mark wrote:
Thanks, the model number is PCG-F160.
How can I tell what the native resolution is?

I use Aida 32 which may be able to tell me what the graphic chipset is ...

The first hit I got on a search for "PCG-F160 screen resolution"

http://www.screentekinc.com/sony__Vaio_PCG-family-notebooks-lcd-screens.shtml

14.1" 1024 x 768 pixels ("XGA")

I believe the 14.1" number is the diagonal dimension of the screen.

Paul

paulmd
On Mar 13, 10:30 am, "Mark" wrote:
I installed Windows 2000 on a noteboook computer only to get really crappy
video resolution, even at BIOS startup. Therefore I cannot assume its driver
problem. Drivers for this notebook model are no longer available. Help.

They are too.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-swu.pl?mdl=PCGF160&LOC=3

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCGF160&UpdateType=Everything&SelectOS=6

I see that the notebook uses a neomagic graphics chip. Which win2k
should know about.

It should be a simple matter of setting the display in 1024x768 at
full color.

(right click on a free spot on the desktop, properties, settings)