You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-))

Sosumi
Hack the flash so you synch at 1/4000 !!!
I did it with the D40. Normal synch is already good at 1/500, but I want the
camera to do what I want, not what he wants. So yesterday I got my new SB
800 flash, very nice and fantastic features, like max. distance of over 50
meters!
Everything automatic, even the zoom up to 105 mm works together with the
lens and if the camera goes standby or you turn it of, so does the flash.

I had just finished the book (125 pages) and tried everything out. OK it
works as a slave and everything you can want in a flash: it has got it!
But I stay bothered by the max flash synch at 1/500. Why the heck is that? I
remember when I had the D80, it flashed at any speed I choose, with the
internal flash.
So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

That´s all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!! So I was able to FREEZE falling water from
the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.
But it´s digital, so you can fool around as much as necesary.

I did read most Canon camera´s can´t do this trick. Except maybe the older
ones or more/most expensive. But lemme know if it´s not true!
Also: show some pictures with what you can freeze here.

1 2 3
Rich
On Sep 12, 9:45 am, "Sosumi" wrote:
[...]

You mean like this? Done at 1/4000th of a second with flash by a
P&S, the Olympus C-8080
DSLR LUDDITES would not understand this.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/52119776

/dev/null
"Sosumi" wrote in message
[...]

Well that is a load of BULLSHIT!!! The flash synch speed is the maximum

shutter speed that doesn't cause the shutter curtains to be fully open. Any
faster than the design synch speed will cause a shutter shadow on the image.
What you are seeing is the flash duration, not synch speed. I can do the
same effect on bulb. The shortest duration of the SB-800 is 1/41600 sec,
that can freeze pretty much anything.

Annika1980
On Sep 12, 9:45 am, "Sosumi" wrote:

I did read most Canon camera´s can´t do this trick. Except maybe the older
ones or more/most expensive. But lemme know if it´s not true!

Hi-speed synch says hi.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/26416596

philip
In article <46e7e2ca$0$22926$,
/dev/null <nntp.server.net> wrote:
Well that is a load of BULLSHIT!!! The flash synch speed is the maximum
shutter speed that doesn't cause the shutter curtains to be fully open. Any
faster than the design synch speed will cause a shutter shadow on the image.
What you are seeing is the flash duration, not synch speed.

Unless, the camera has an electronic shutter in addition to the mechanical
one...

Matt Ion
Sosumi wrote:

So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

Any camera with hotshoe will do that with any hotshoe flash.

That´s all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!!

No shit, Sherlock! Check out any non-dedicated generic flash and any
older camera that doesn't support dedicated flash - ALL they use is the
center contact! Wow!

So I was able to FREEZE falling water from the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

Neat, you've just re-discovered one of the first things ever done with
the invention of the camera flash.

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.

Pick up a cheap non-dedicated flash... they have this little chart on
the back that tells you what aperture to use at what distance for any
given ISO speed. Wow, you're right on top of things with this radical
new technique!

I did read most Canon camera´s can´t do this trick.

You read wrong.

Just shot this with my 300D and 420EX flash. No contacts taped up,
flash set to high-speed sync, camera set to 1/4000, f/11, ISO200.

http://www2.moltenimage.com/photos/1-4000_flash.jpg

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/4000 second = 0.00025 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 11/1 = F11.00
* ISO Speed Ratings = 200
* Exif Version = 0221
* Original Date/Time = 2007:09:12 09:13:35
* Digitization Date/Time = 2007:09:12 09:13:35

Sosumi
"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Sosumi wrote:

[...]

Unsharp, outta focus and too dark. What else, genius?
You quote and read wrong: I wrote "except for the older ones" What do you
call a 300D? New model? Practically a dinosaur.
Try it with a "modern" Canon like the D400.

Sosumi
"Philip Homburg" wrote in message
In article <46e7e2ca$0$22926$,
/dev/null <nntp.server.net> wrote:
Well that is a load of BULLSHIT!!! The flash synch speed is the maximum
shutter speed that doesn't cause the shutter curtains to be fully open.
Any
faster than the design synch speed will cause a shutter shadow on the
image.
What you are seeing is the flash duration, not synch speed.

Unless, the camera has an electronic shutter in addition to the mechanical
one...

Exactly: the manual reads: combined mechanical and electronical CCD shutter.

So the bullshitter kan apologize ;-)))

Even at 1/4000 I have no shadow of a doubt..

Sosumi
"/dev/null" <nntp.server.net> wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message
[...]

According to your nick: dev or deaf? Null in many languages means zero or
nothing. So you´re a deaf nothing, right?
Read some books, dipstick..

Paul Furman
/dev/null wrote:

Sosumi wrote

[...]

The advantage of high speed synch is fill flash is bright sun, not
freezing objects with only flash lighting. The SB800 should be able to
do this by emitting a series of flashes in high synch mode.
http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/view.asp?articleID26

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net

Gino
I guess that you haven't heard of fp or high speed sync?

Would be interesting to know the hit rate using your method. My guess is
that it's not too reliable.