USB driver for the palm m515

Eli Aran
I have winxp pro and my CPU/Ram are: p4 2.4GHz 256MB
I need a driver to support the USB connection from my palm hand held
to my pc.
the Hotsync app provided by the Palm CD only offers me to choose
between COM1 and COM3. no USB option to select.
the Palm web site support told me to log into windows as
administrator and re-install the Palm Desktop program again from the CD but
did not provide the USB option to choose either.
I connect the USB cable from the cradle to a USB slot in my pc and
press the synchronization button on the cradle or select the Hotsync program
in it. if device manager is open I can see suddenly a new "unknown USB
device" in the hardware list with code 28 in its properties. this device
disappears with its yellow question mark immediately after the
synchronization fails and stops.
I need a USB driver for the palm m515 I have, because so-far I can
only use it as stand alone or to recharge the battery - no synchronization
or installation possible in it.
note: all the USB devices are working well in the device manager list.
(is it possible that the palm cradle USB connection cable is physically
damaged?)
thank you

---

1 2
better known as McGrady's cousin
Make sure you have HotSync manager loaded on your PC. Then right click the
HotSync manager in your taskbar on your PC and make sure "Local USB" is
checked.

Just leave COM1 selected because that is for your serial connection and
you're not using that.

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

========================== Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

"Eli Aran" wrote in message
[...]

I see. Maybe 3.0 does not have USB support and your problem will be resolved
with 4.0. Good luck.

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

========================== Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

"Eli Aran" wrote in message
thank you for you reply.
as I mentioned in my first post, I was only given two options to choose

from
in the Palm Desktop installation: COM1 and COM3. I was not given a USB
connection option to choose so I am not able to select the USB connection
method in Hotsync in the task bar or in the cradle an the synchronization
via the Hotsync app in the palm fails and stops.

I accidentally looked at the version of the Palm Desktop application given
to me in the package CD, and it turned out to be 3.0.something. I read in
other newsgroup answers to my question that the version should be 4.0 or

4.1
(but not 5.0)

I am currently downloading Palm Desktop ver. 4.1 from www.download.com and

am very hopeful that this will solve my non-existent USB option for
communication with the hand held.

Eli

"better known as McGrady's cousin" wrote in message
> Make sure you have HotSync manager loaded on your PC. Then right click

the
> HotSync manager in your taskbar on your PC and make sure "Local USB" is
> checked.
>
> Just leave COM1 selected because that is for your serial connection and
> you're not using that.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> better known as McGrady's cousin
>
> ========================== > > Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.
>

> "Eli Aran" wrote in message
> > I have winxp pro and my CPU/Ram are: p4 2.4GHz 256MB
> > I need a driver to support the USB connection from my palm

hand
> held
> > to my pc.
> > the Hotsync app provided by the Palm CD only offers me to

choose
> > between COM1 and COM3. no USB option to select.
> > the Palm web site support told me to log into windows as
> > administrator and re-install the Palm Desktop program again from the

CD
> but
> > did not provide the USB option to choose either.
> > I connect the USB cable from the cradle to a USB slot in my pc
and
> > press the synchronization button on the cradle or select the Hotsync
> program
> > in it. if device manager is open I can see suddenly a new "unknown USB
> > device" in the hardware list with code 28 in its properties. this

device
> > disappears with its yellow question mark immediately after the
> > synchronization fails and stops.
> > I need a USB driver for the palm m515 I have, because so-far I
can
> > only use it as stand alone or to recharge the battery - no
synchronization
> > or installation possible in it.
> > note: all the USB devices are working well in the device manager list.
> > (is it possible that the palm cradle USB connection cable is

physically
> > damaged?)
> > thank you
> >

> > ---

---

Eli Aran

I am currently downloading Palm Desktop ver. 4.1 from www.download.com and I

Make sure you have HotSync manager loaded on your PC. Then right click the
HotSync manager in your taskbar on your PC and make sure "Local USB" is
checked.

Just leave COM1 selected because that is for your serial connection and
you're not using that.

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

========================== > Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

"Eli Aran" wrote in message
> I have winxp pro and my CPU/Ram are: p4 2.4GHz 256MB
> I need a driver to support the USB connection from my palm hand
held
> to my pc.
> the Hotsync app provided by the Palm CD only offers me to choose
> between COM1 and COM3. no USB option to select.
> the Palm web site support told me to log into windows as
> administrator and re-install the Palm Desktop program again from the CD
but
> did not provide the USB option to choose either.
> I connect the USB cable from the cradle to a USB slot in my pc

and
> press the synchronization button on the cradle or select the Hotsync
program
> in it. if device manager is open I can see suddenly a new "unknown USB
> device" in the hardware list with code 28 in its properties. this device
> disappears with its yellow question mark immediately after the
> synchronization fails and stops.
> I need a USB driver for the palm m515 I have, because so-far I

can
> only use it as stand alone or to recharge the battery - no

synchronization
> or installation possible in it.
> note: all the USB devices are working well in the device manager list.
> (is it possible that the palm cradle USB connection cable is physically
> damaged?)
> thank you
>

> ---

---
Michael Eyd
Eli Aran schrieb:

I accidentally looked at the version of the Palm Desktop application given
to me in the package CD, and it turned out to be 3.0.something. I read in
other newsgroup answers to my question that the version should be 4.0 or 4.1
(but not 5.0)

I don't know where you got this CD from, but it definitely does not
belong to a M515! You have to use Desktop version 4.x to get the USB
support. BTW, as the primary download source I would suggest Palm itself...

Regards,

Michael

--
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy,
the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France
Eli Aran
yes I upgraded to version 4.1.
yes it did have the USB option to choose.
no I could not establish a connection for synchronization.
my last option before buying a new cradle is to uninstall and remove all
mentions of palm and hotsync from the registry, then log out and login as
administrator and do a complete installation from 0.
as I said if this does not help me now - I am going to a computer shop to
buy a palm-to-USB synchronization cable. (I heard there are some
possibilities there...)

I see. Maybe 3.0 does not have USB support and your problem will be

resolved
with 4.0. Good luck.

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

========================== > Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

"Eli Aran" wrote in message
> [...]

pc
> and
> > > press the synchronization button on the cradle or select the Hotsync
> > program
> > > in it. if device manager is open I can see suddenly a new "unknown

USB
> > > device" in the hardware list with code 28 in its properties. this
device
> > > disappears with its yellow question mark immediately after the
> > > synchronization fails and stops.
> > > I need a USB driver for the palm m515 I have, because so-far

> can
> > > only use it as stand alone or to recharge the battery - no
> synchronization
> > > or installation possible in it.
> > > note: all the USB devices are working well in the device manager

list.
> > > (is it possible that the palm cradle USB connection cable is

---
CrazyCat
Ensure you have USBPort.dll in your palm directory.
If not, you may find the drivers at palmone.

--
Tout sur les eggdrops
http://www.c-p-f.org
Adam S
"Eli Aran" wrote in message
yes I upgraded to version 4.1.
yes it did have the USB option to choose.
no I could not establish a connection for synchronization.
my last option before buying a new cradle is to uninstall and remove all
mentions of palm and hotsync from the registry, then log out and login as
administrator and do a complete installation from 0.
as I said if this does not help me now - I am going to a computer shop to
buy a palm-to-USB synchronization cable. (I heard there are some
possibilities there...)

Hi, I am using an M515 with Palm Desktop 4.1. I sync using a USB cradle.

You are correct, that in the desktop program when you look under the Hotsync
menu you only get the option of COM1 or 2. What you need to do is right
click on the Hotsync symbol in the system tray, you should then see four
options - Local USB, Local Serial, Modem and Network, make sure you have a
tick next to the UBS option.

HTH, Adam S

Eli Aran
I copied USBPort.dll from c:program filespalm to c:windowssystem and to
c:windowssystem32 and rebooted the machine. I still have the unknown
device problem in Device Manager when I try to synchronize from the hand
held.
could it be that the USB cable is physically damaged and needs to be
replaced?

"Eli Aran" wrote in message
thank you very much!

"CrazyCat" wrote in message
> Ensure you have USBPort.dll in your palm directory.
> If not, you may find the drivers at palmone.
>
> --
> Tout sur les eggdrops
> http://www.c-p-f.org
> ML @

---

---
Eli Aran
up until now I did all the following things:
- remove all mentions of "palm" and "hotsync" from the registry;
- download the correct version of the Palm Desktop app (4.1) that should
work with USB;
- install it and select USB - once as administrator and once as (user);
- check that all the dll files are in place;
- check that "local USB" is in fact marked with a V in the hotsync task bar
icon;
- unplug the USB cable from the front of the pc and replug it to the rear.
- reinstall palm desktop again after uninstalling it.

I wonder if the USB cable is physically damaged or else the palm m515 would
not synchronize with a USB cable in the first place.
if it's damaged then its a factory issue for not checking the equipment.
if the palm m515 is not going to work with USB in the first place then why
did they put such a cradle in the package to begin with?
the palm package contained a CD with an incompatible version for the USB
cable too, so if they had a USB cradle that is ALSO incompatible with the
palm itself then how am I supposed to connect it to my pc and synchronize
it????

"Adam S" wrote in message
On my c drive in the folder I have installed Palm Desktop to there is a
folder called USB_Driver. It contains two files - PalmUSBD.inf and
PalmUSBD.sys (total size 36.7KB) if I right click on the inf file I get

the
option to install it.

There is also a PalmDevC.dll in the winsystem32 folder (36KB in size)

Where are you plugging the USB into? I have had a similar fault on some
front connectors, as in the device was not reconised, as soon as I plugged
it into a USB port on the rear of the PC it was reconised and worked.

Turned
out the + and - data leads to the front plug were labled incorrectly. Have
you tried other ports?

Adam S

---
1 2