W2K vs WIN me H/W vs S/W ???

A+
Need help PLEASE. Here is the situation:

My computer came with WIN me. Clean installed W2K 10 months ago.

W2K started to act up recently (unstable).

New clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem, call vender..."
No specifics what H/W ?

Re-installed WIN me fine.
New attempt to clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem call vender..."
Re-installed WIN me fine

Since, WIN me continues to display "Explorer error.... UPNPUI.DLL"
Looked up UPNPUI.DLL, it seems to be the USB Plug n Play driver.

The computer freezes frequently when connected to the internet via cable
modem (USB port). If not connected it does NOT freeze. But System tray
icons tend to disappear one after another until a reboot

a) This can be S/W or H/W
Used TuffTEST diagnostic S/W... All OK

b) Device manager shows all fine

Any recommendation how to investigate/fix ?

Please reply to tomiegs@yahoo.fr and the groups (too many) if you like

Thanks in advance

A+

Ron Gabaree
Try disabling your USB ports in the BIOS to see if the issues go away.

My .02

Ron
"A+" wrote in message
[...]

Please reply to and the groups (too many) if you like

Thanks in advance

A+

jncash
I agree disable usb port -- or if you can use rj45 cable instead of usb
cable to connect to the internet-- maybe your problem will go away

"A+" wrote in message
> Need help PLEASE. Here is the situation:
>
> My computer came with WIN me. Clean installed W2K 10 months ago.
>
> W2K started to act up recently (unstable).
>
> New clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem, call vender..."
> No specifics what H/W ?
>
> Re-installed WIN me fine.
> New attempt to clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem call

vender..."
> Re-installed WIN me fine
>
> Since, WIN me continues to display "Explorer error.... UPNPUI.DLL"
> Looked up UPNPUI.DLL, it seems to be the USB Plug n Play driver.
>
> The computer freezes frequently when connected to the internet via cable
> modem (USB port). If not connected it does NOT freeze. But System tray
> icons tend to disappear one after another until a reboot
>
> a) This can be S/W or H/W
> Used TuffTEST diagnostic S/W... All OK
>
> b) Device manager shows all fine
>
> Any recommendation how to investigate/fix ?
>
> Please reply to and the groups (too many) if you like
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> A+

A+
Someone suggested BIOS update. Smart, as the computer worked before under
both OS' WIN me & W2K. Suddenly this Unversal Plug n Play driver error

My problem now is to decide which Micro Star International BIOS update.

My user's manual says : MS-6330 (Lite3) Version 3
My System Info says : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
There is no V 6.*** on MSI site
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/search/ser/SerConTecRes.php?DATA=2&bios=ms-6330

Any recommendation

TIA

"jncash" a écrit dans le message de
I agree disable usb port -- or if you can use rj45 cable instead of usb
cable to connect to the internet-- maybe your problem will go away
"Ron Gabaree" wrote in message
> Try disabling your USB ports in the BIOS to see if the issues go away.
>
> My .02
>
> Ron
> "A+" wrote in message
> > Need help PLEASE. Here is the situation:
> >
> > My computer came with WIN me. Clean installed W2K 10 months ago.
> >
> > W2K started to act up recently (unstable).
> >
> > New clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem, call vender..."
> > No specifics what H/W ?
> >
> > Re-installed WIN me fine.
> > New attempt to clean install W2K failed "Hardware problem call
vender..."
> > Re-installed WIN me fine
> >
> > Since, WIN me continues to display "Explorer error.... UPNPUI.DLL"
> > Looked up UPNPUI.DLL, it seems to be the USB Plug n Play driver.
> >
> > The computer freezes frequently when connected to the internet via

cable
> > modem (USB port). If not connected it does NOT freeze. But System tray
> > icons tend to disappear one after another until a reboot
> >
> > a) This can be S/W or H/W
> > Used TuffTEST diagnostic S/W... All OK
> >
> > b) Device manager shows all fine
> >
> > Any recommendation how to investigate/fix ?
> >
> > Please reply to and the groups (too many) if you like
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > A+

Jack E Martinelli
Universal Plug and Play

Description of Universal Plug and Play Features in Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q262/4/58.ASP

How to Enable the Universal Plug and Play Feature
in Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q276/5/07.ASP
---------

ssdpsrv.exe is part of Me's Universal Plug n Play - this component
provides SSDP
and GENA services. Where SSDP = Simple Service Discovery Protocol and
GENA General Event Notification Architecture. Something you almost certainly
don't
require unless you are controlling your VCR, washing machine or coffee
maker
from your PC. Rather than unchecking this entry in MSConfig I would
recommend
that you consider uninstalling Universal PnP using Add/Remove Programs |
Windows
Setup | Communications | Details and uncheck U PnP and then Apply. That
is, of
course, unless you are one of those rare people with a VCR that can be
controlled from their PC, or a coffee maker, fridge or washing machine.
<g>
Some more details can be found at MS KB Q262458 - "Description of

--
Mike Maltby
----

http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AD20011220.html

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-04 MVP for Win9X / DTS
Your cooperation is appreciated.
"A+" wrote in message
[...]

A+
Done it.
No error for the last 15 minutes (record time).

However this does not explain why W2K clean install does not install due to
H/W malfunction !!!
Of course on new clean install this famous U PnP does not enter into play.

Since my last posting the CD burner and the DVD player went off the air
completely undetected.

Several reboots, later unplug and replug the cable seems to bring them back.
For how long ?
This confirms to me the going theory that the BIOS is corrupted. Wouldn't
you agree ?

TIA
A+

"Jack E Martinelli" a écrit dans le message de
Universal Plug and Play
--------- SNIP
Rather than unchecking this entry in MSConfig I would recommend
that you consider uninstalling Universal PnP using Add/Remove Programs |
Windows | Setup | Communications | Details and uncheck U PnP and then

Apply.
--
Mike Maltby
----

A+
FYI,

The BIOS was corrupted. BIOS update did it.
Happy to be back to W2K.

Thanks to all for your help & suggestions
A+
============================= "A+" wrote in message
Done it.
No error for the last 15 minutes (record time).

However this does not explain why W2K clean install does not install due

H/W malfunction !!!
Of course on new clean install this famous U PnP does not enter into play.

Since my last posting the CD burner and the DVD player went off the air
completely undetected.

Several reboots, later unplug and replug the cable seems to bring them

back.
For how long ?
This confirms to me the going theory that the BIOS is corrupted. Wouldn't
you agree ?

TIA
A+

"Jack E Martinelli" a écrit dans le message

de
> Universal Plug and Play
> Rather than unchecking this entry in MSConfig I would recommend
> that you consider uninstalling Universal PnP using Add/Remove Programs |
> Windows | Setup | Communications | Details and uncheck U PnP and then
Apply.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> ----

Jack E Martinelli
Happy to hear about your success. It certainly is an unusual problem!