Press Release Trial architecture to evaluate how cloud-optimized radio access macro network architectures will enable smooth operator transition from 4G to 5G services and IoT Results show macro Nokia AirScale Cloud RAN running on AirFrame NFV ...
- Trial architecture to evaluate how cloud-optimized radio access macro network architectures will enable smooth operator transition from 4G to 5G services and IoT
- Results show macro Nokia AirScale Cloud RAN running on AirFrame NFV infrastructure meets all key performance criteria to deliver same performance level of today's RAN architecture with added efficiciency and scalability of cloud technology
12 December, 2016
Espoo, Finland - Nokia and Vodafone have trialled the use of cloud-based radio access technology for macro networks to evaluate how it will enable a smooth transition from 4G to 5G and meet the connectivity demands expected from the next-generation wireless platform together with the Internet of Things.
Nokia Cloud RAN architecture enables operators to use their radio assets more efficiently to meet future connectivity needs, with the Nokia AirScale Cloud RAN platform running on the AirFrame NFV infrastructure and splitting baseband processing functionality between real-time and non real-time functions. As a result, time-critical functions can be performed closer to end users at the edge of the network, while serving a wider area with Ethernet-based fronthaul providing connectivity to the virtualized functions. Non-time-critical functions are centralized and virtualized in an NFV infrastructure platform located at the edge of the radio access network, offering a view across the network and allowing radio capacity to be scaled when and where it is required.
The trial, which took place at Vodafone's testing facility in Italy, used the Nokia Cloud RAN platform to evaluate the performance of centralized 5G-ready architecture, measuring peak data rates as well as download and upload speeds in a range of scenarios on the macro network, containing high power macro cellular base stations. As a result, the trial found that the Nokia Cloud RAN achieved all of Vodafone's key performance criteria for throughput, capacity and resiliency, demonstrating that a cloud-based RAN architecture can provide the same level of high-quality service provided by a conventional LTE network, but with the added scalability, flexibility and efficiency delivered by cloud technology. Nokia and Vodafone will continue to collaborate on this project with the aim of deploying the technology commercially.
About the trial
- Nokia AirScale Cloud Base Station Server, a virtual base station running LTE technology.
- Nokia AirFrame Data Center platform designed to meet stringent radio access capacity, performance and latency requirements powered by Nokia real-time cloud infrastructure software.
- Nokia Global Services' engineers worked closely with Vodafone's radio experts to prepare, execute and validate results from the different test cases
Ed Gubbins, Senior Analyst for Mobile Access Infrastructure, Current Analysis, said: "Nokia has been a leader in driving and commercializing Cloud RAN innovations. The timely launches of Nokia's AirScale and AirFrame solutions give it an edge in this space, and its proactive moves to develop Multi-access Edge Computing technology - earlier than most rivals - give it added credibility."
Santiago Tenorio, Head of Networks, Vodafone Group, said: "Working with Nokia on this trial we have seen how the application of Cloud RAN architecture can help the network react to changing demands quickly. It speeds up the delivery of services and will help with the transition to 5G."
Roberto Loiola, Head of Vodafone Global Customer Business Team at Nokia, said. "Our Cloud RAN technology can help operators optimize network performance even as they cope with the increasing demands being placed upon them. This trial with Vodafone builds on this promise, enabling Nokia to apply its longstanding working relationship with them to explore how we can enable the smooth and efficient transition from 4G to 5G."
Did you know?
- Nokia's 5G-ready AirScale Cloud RAN has been developed in cooperation with operators to ensure it meets the diverse demands of any market. Nokia's unique multi-layered approach supports distributed and centralized deployments as well as a mix of both. Ready to meet future network requirements, AirScale Cloud RAN is upgraded via software, reducing the cost associated with site visits. It also supports multiple fronthaul technologies, including Ethernet fronthaul, to allow operators to optimize transport costs based on the needs at the cell site.
- Nokia has defined a path to 5G, which it announced in September this year, that allows leading operators to take advantage of major increases in speed and capacity where and when they need it using 4.5G, 4.5G Pro and 4.9G technologies.
- Web Page: Nokia AirScale Cloud RAN
- Web Page: Nokia AirScale Radio Access
- Web Page: Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution
- E-book: Nokia AirScale
Connect with Nokia
- Subscribe to receive information on specific areas of interest
Nokia is a global leader in creating the technologies at the heart of our connected world. Powered by the research and innovation of Nokia Bell Labs, we serve communications service providers, governments, large enterprises and consumers, with the industry's most complete, end-to-end portfolio of products, services and licensing.
From the enabling infrastructure for 5G and the Internet of Things, to emerging applications in virtual reality and digital health, we are shaping the future of technology to transform the human experience. www.nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: NOKIA via Globenewswire
Source(s) : NOKIA
Press Release Nokia and Vodafone Hutchison Australia unlocklow-band5Gspectrum First 5G low-band NR700Mhz deployment in field test environment in Australia and the Asia-Pacific regionWill enhancecustomer experience by complementing ...
Vodafone Idea signs next-generation LTE rollout deal with Nokia to improve coverage and deliver superior data experienceNokia's best-in-class equipment and professional services will be used to expand the operator's future-ready LTE network and provide overall improved network experience to subscribers 18 March 2019 New Delhi, India - Vodafone Idea Limited ...