Press Release Nokia achieves 23 landmark 5G ‘firsts’ between September 2018 and September 2019 Game-changing achievements include six world firsts, seven technology firsts, and 10 regional firsts – all in the field of 5GAchievements underscore ...
- Nokia achieves 23 landmark 5G ‘firsts’ between September 2018 and September 2019
- Game-changing achievements include six world firsts, seven technology firsts, and 10 regional firsts – all in the field of 5G
- Achievements underscore and extend Nokia’s innovation and technology leadership record, as the 5G era begins to take shape
2 October 2019
Espoo, Finland – Nokia is celebrating twelve months of 5G ‘firsts’: a milestone defined by 23 game-changing achievements in the field of 5G.
Over a twelve-month period that started on 6 September 2018 with the first over-the-air, end-to-end data transmission on a commercial 3GPP 5G New Radio network in partnership with Verizon, Nokia has gone forward to achieve an additional 22 5G firsts in six continents and in a wide range of technology areas.
In addition, as North America is thus far the world’s largest 5G market, Nokia has positioned itself as the leading vendor with the largest 5G population coverage footprint.
Chief among the achievements in the past 12 months are six world firsts in 5G secured by Nokia’s technology and its people, including:
- The first environment for verification to develop the connected car using 5G, enabled by Nokia’s 3GPP-standard base stations for Softbank
- The first tests into new aspects of the 5G standard in real-world industrial conditions at the Port of Hamburg in Germany, together with the Hamburg Port Authority and Deutsche Telekom
- The first over-the-air 5G data transmission using 2.5 GHz and massive MIMO antenna technology, on Sprint’s live commercial network in San Diego, together with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and Sprint
Nokia has also helped to power seven technology firsts in 5G, which along with the September 2018 Verizon trial include:
- The first 8K Ultra High Definition TV streaming in real conditions over 5G, delivered in partnership with France Télévisions
- The first cloud-based VR gaming on an AI-powered 5G network using open RAN architecture to manage the extreme network demands of immersive real-time VR gaming, after teaming up with CMCC
- The first 5G solution for one of the world’s largest events, the Hajj in Saudi Arabia, using VR to allow visitors to experience Hajj remotely as if they are present on site
Nokia, together with its partners and customers, have also achieved 10 regional firsts in 5G, including:
- The first outdoor pilot of 5G New Radio on 3.5GHz frequency band in Singapore, in partnership with StarHub
- The first nationwide 5G coverage in Europe by, together with TIM, providing full coverage of the entire Republic of San Marino
- The first 5G deals in South Africa, with rain; in Latin America, with ANTEL in Uruguay; and most recently in New Zealand, with Vodafone New Zealand
Marcus Weldon, Nokia’s Corporate CTO and President of Nokia Bell Labs, said: “The past 12 months of Nokia’s 5G milestones and successes stem from our years of research into 5G and the resulting innovative technologies are changing the world for consumers and industries.
“Whether enabling new geographies to experience the possibilities of 5G for the first time, pushing technology to define new limits and deliver groundbreaking performance, or achieving 5G firsts never before seen, Nokia’s end-to-end portfolio is helping customers redefine what’s possible, as the true potential of 5G starts to take hold.”
Nokia Bell Labs pioneered many of the fundamental technology innovations that are being adopted into 5G standards. Inventions in Low Density parity check (LDPC), 5G radio stack design, Massive MIMO, Mobile Edge Computing, and millimeter Wave have enabled 5G Release 15, and new innovations in 5G unlicensed spectrum and Industrial IoT are leading the digital transformation to industrial automation and Industry 4.0. In addition, Nokia has played a key leadership role in driving the first set of globally interoperable 5G standards through its contribution to the 3GPP standards organization.
Full list of Nokia’s 23 5G firsts achieved since September 2018:
Six world firsts in 5G:
- World’s first construction of environment for verification of 5G connected car to start test for commercialization - Utilize Nokia’s 3GPP standard baseband station for the test
- Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call Using 2.5 GHz and Massive MIMO on Commercial Network
- Nokia wins contract to supply first 5G in New Zealand with Vodafone New Zealand
- Zain Saudi and Nokia use 5G network to support remote viewing of Hajj events via live, advanced Virtual Reality
- In a world first, Hamburg Port Authority, Deutsche Telekom, and Nokia test new applications in real-world industrial conditions at the Port of Hamburg in Germany
- Nokia and Qualcomm kickstart the era of 5G for industry with demonstrations at Hannover Messe 2019
Seven technology firsts in 5G:
- First over air data transmission on a commercial 5G network
- World’s first 8K Ultra High Definition TV program streamed on 5G
- Nokia and CMCC demonstrate cloud-based VR gaming on an AI-powered 5G network using O-RAN architecture and Nokia edge cloud computing platform at MWC19
- Nokia deploying 5G for Vodafone Italy's 5G trial in Milan
- Nokia and Vodafone collaborate on active antennas to boost 5G radio capacity and reduce costs
- Nokia and Saudi Telecom Co. (STC) sign deal for 5G network launch and early rollout of services
- Nokia and TIM break European record for long-distance data transmission over high-speed network - laying groundwork for 5G
10 geographical firsts in 5G:
- Japan-first trial of 5G to offer logistics solutions through remote operation of unmanned delivery robot.
- Nokia and StarHub complete the first outdoor pilot of 5G New Radio on 3.5GHz frequency band in Singapore
- Helsinki Airport becomes the world’s first 5G airport with Telia and Nokia
- San Marino becomes first 5G full-coverage State
- Nokia and CMCC deliver world's first AI-powered cloud VR experience over O-RAN architecture on CMCC live 5G network
- Nokia and Optus establish multiple world firsts with 5G roll out in Australia
- Sony Pictures takes "Spider-Man(TM): Far From Home" to new heights with 5G powered by Nokia and Intel
- South African operator rain and Nokia launch country's first 5G network to support early rollout of 5G services
- ANTEL and Nokia make the first 5G call on a commercial network in Latin America
- First telecom factory in India to start manufacturing 5G base stations
We create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry's only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 6.1 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.
Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, we are leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. www.nokia.com
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
Source(s) : Nokia Oyj
Higher returns through focused growth: Nokia sets key financial and strategic targets at Capital Markets Day 2016Nokia CorporationStock Exchange ReleaseNovember 15, 2016 at 09:00 (CET +1) Higher returns through focused growth: Nokia sets key financial and strategic targets at Capital Markets Day 2016 Barcelona, Spain - Nokia today outlined its vision ...
Nokia can now start eliminating complexity and costs of two separate corporate structures Nokia is already leveraging extended scale and scope to new customers in new sectors to meet connectivity demands Nokia's broad product portfolio, ...