Nokia expands LTE portfolio with Cloud Packet Core solution for private mission-critical LTE networks Lets organizations in the mining, oil & gas, transportation, and utility sectors as well governments and regional operators easily deploy a ...
- Nokia expands LTE portfolio with Cloud Packet Core solution for private mission-critical LTE networks
- Lets organizations in the mining, oil & gas, transportation, and utility sectors as well governments and regional operators easily deploy a powerful LTE network
- Solution supports access by up to 50,000 devices simultaneously, offering flexibility, scale and performance to support mobile broadband and IoT/MTC applications that can help enable Smart Cities.
29 September, 2016
Espoo, Finland - Nokia has expanded its Cloud Packet Core offering with a solution tailored specifically for global enterprises, the public sector and smaller operators. Nokia Cloud Packet Core, based upon cloud native technology, will help accelerate the move to Smart Cities, improve the safety and efficiency of employees and expand mobile applications across a variety of industries.
The introduction of LTE and the move to 5G and cloud technologies provide a new and viable mechanism to more effectively support mobile broadband, IoT and machine-type communications (MTC). Private LTE networks are increasingly becoming the preferred approach to deliver business and mission-critical services in industry segments such as railways, aviation, the energy sector and with governments. Estimated by some analysts to surpass $800 million in global investment by the end of 2016, the private LTE network market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 32% by 2020*.
Nokia is expanding its offerings for private LTE networks by optimizing its innovative Cloud Packet Core solution to allow for the delivery of business and mission-critical services and applications. The solution ensures reliability and functionality for secure service delivery at a size that makes it accessible to a diversity of markets. It provides the scale and performance for MTC and mobile broadband users and devices, supporting 50,000 simultaneous access users/devices and 100 eNodeBs.
Mobile broadband and IoT/MTC applications have differing service characteristics based on their operational and business requirements. These can include bandwidth, latency, and number of endpoints, users and devices. The Packet Core must be sufficiently flexible and scalable to satisfy those criteria at all times to support private LTE applications such as:
- Transportation: In railways, the new Cloud Packet Core can support operational services such as Train Control (an important safety feature) and real-time CCTV video feeds and alarm notifications, as well as passenger services such as mobile ticketing, broadband access for infotainment services and more.
- Oil and Gas: Enhance productivity with MTC for control and monitoring of oil/gas processing in the refinery, with real-time processing and relaying of rig production information to Nokia's Network Operations Center (NOC). Provide mission-critical Push-to-Talk voice, video and data services for end users. Improve safety with biometric clothing to monitor rig workers - and take advantage of a 'flotel', a floating hotel for workers - to access the same services they have at home.
- Mining: Provide end-to-end visibility for controllers and schedulers at the NOC. Offer a high-bandwidth, low-latency CCTV view of operational plant equipment, real-time alarm notifications and control equipment monitoring, and optimize vehicle movement throughout the mine with real-time positioning as well as automating mining operations via driverless vehicles and other measures.
- Utilities: Establish Field Area Networks (FAN) to provide high-speed data links to connect sensors, sub-stations, facilities, intelligent electronic devices and other grid components; help ensure the safety, reliability and resiliency of electrical distribution grids.
This new offering leverages the Cloud Mobility Manager (CMM) and Cloud Mobile Gateway (CMG) software from Nokia's Cloud Packet Core solution, which is already deployed by the world's largest communications service providers. It delivers a comprehensive 3GPP feature set along with deployment flexibility, and enables private and regional networks to interconnect with Tier 1 operators to extend coverage and provide network operational continuity. The proven Nokia Tier 1 software and pre-integrated Nokia Airframe server help accelerate deployment and reduce the risks of operational integration.
Mike Sapien, Principal Analyst, Enterprise Services, Ovum: "With many enterprise customers, government agencies and smaller operators looking to create new robust business offers for their customers and end users, the ability to create a private network leveraging this solution will be very attractive. I see many large customers acting as service providers ("CaaSPs") for internal groups that would also see the opportunity to create this private network, with the key requirement of interconnecting with other service providers (wireless networks, applications, cloud providers) and larger operators being enabled with this solution."
Sri Reddy, general manager of IP routing business at Nokia, said: "Our Cloud Packet Core solution leverages a native cloud architecture to purpose-fit smaller business and critical communications networks without sacrificing the ability to scale as needs dictate. All operators - regardless of size - get the same software foundation, rich capability set, field-proven software and high reliability. This allows them to fully embrace LTE today - and 5G in the future - to assure an optimal, secure and reliable experience and fully realize new mobile broadband, IoT and MTC opportunities for their business."
*"The Private LTE Network Ecosystem: 2016 - 2030 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts"
- Nokia Insight Article: https://insight.nokia.com/cloud-packet-core-crucial-geps-innovation
- Cloud Packet Core website:https://networks.nokia.com/solutions/packet-core
- Infographic: https://resources.nokia.com/asset/200578
- Train ://company.nokia.com/sites/default/files/download/nokia_im_trains01_original_lr_rgb.jpg
- Tram ://company.nokia.com/sites/default/files/download/nokia_im_tram01_original_lr_rgb.jpg
- Airport ://company.nokia.com/sites/default/files/download/nokia_im_airport01_original_lr_rgb.jpg
- Traffic ://company.nokia.com/sites/default/files/download/nokia_im_intersection02_original_lr_rgb.jpg
- Metro ://company.nokia.com/sites/default/files/download/nokia_im_metro01_original_lr_rgb.jpg
- Cloud Packet Core demo: Available to journalists upon request (contact email@example.com )
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. //nokia.com
IP and Optical Communications, Nokia
Twitter : @sarahjmiller2
Phone: +358 10 448 4900
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: NOKIA via Globenewswire
Source(s) : NOKIA
Nokia cloud-native packet core solution selected by Telia Company to deliver enhanced mobile broadband and manage mobile network data demandPress Release Nokia cloud-native packet core solution selected by Telia Company to deliver enhanced mobile broadband and manage mobile network data demand Nokia selected as sole vendor for cloud packet core for the whole Telia Company in ...
PT Hutchison 3 Indonesia chooses Nokia's cloud-native packet core to deliver enhanced mobile broadband and future servicesPress Release Nokia's Cloud Packet Core will add performance, scalability and flexibility to H3I's 4G mobile network to profitably deliver enhanced mobile broadband Cloud-native infrastructure enables H3I to reduce capital expenditure, ...