Authentication into Sharepoint with Forms

Fabrice Viguier
Hello,

I want to authenticate into Sharepoint whitout using Windows but Forms.
Why ?
Because I want to authenticate through webservice on another server
(providing OTP authentication)

What I can do :
Use an aspx form that contact my webservice with the field from my form and
create a Session object to give access to my webpages.
Configure Sharepoint to use Form base authentication and modify the
login.aspx template to add specific field (OTP)

What I need :
Sharepoint doesn't seems to recognize a Session variable Http header. So
even if I obtain a correct authentication I'm not able to authenticate into
the portal. I didn't write specific Membership Provider.

How to do ?
What I want to know is, can I create a Session state variable recognized by
Sharepoint instead of my Http Session variable ?
Or must I write a specific Membership Provider to contact my webservice and
provide a correct Sharepoint Session ?
If I need to write this provider, as anybody ever did this before and can
help me ?

Thank you,
Fabrice.

Jérôme Noirfalise
Hello,

I think that the best way is to create a specific membership provider to
contact the web service and authenticate the user. I did it for one of my
customers and I can say that it works fine.

Here are some interesting links to implement a custom membership provider:
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb975135.aspx
- http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2006/08/16/702010.aspx
-
http://blogs.technet.com/mhatch/archive/2007/03/10/sharepoint-2007-forms-authentication-and-aspnetsqlmembershipprovider.aspx
- http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-189.aspx

To be short, noth the MembershipProvider class and the RoleProvider class
include several methods and properties. To use the provider, only a subset of
those is required by Office SharePoint Server and Windows SharePoint Services.

To use the MembershipProvider, you must implement the following methods:
System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.GetUser
System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.GetUserNameByEmail(System.String
System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.ValidateUser(System.String,System.String)
System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.FindUsersByEmail(System.String,System.Int32,System.Int32,System.Int32)
System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.FindUsersByName(System.String,System.Int32,System.Int32,System.Int32)

To use the RoleProvider, you must implement the following methods:
System.Web.Security.RoleProvider.GetRolesForUser(System.String)
System.Web.Security.RoleProvider.RoleExists(System.String)

Best regards,

Jérôme Noirfalise
.NET and SharePoint Consultant @ AUSY Luxembourg
http://www.noirfalise.com