FW: Internet connection problem (XP Home edition) with my PC at home

Alexandre Poltier
Ladies and Gentlemen,=20

(NB: I am writing from my professional office, and some of=20
the data below are approximative)

Since May 31, 2004 (or maybe 2-3 days before or after?) my=20
PC at home doesn't connect anymore to the Internet, which=20
our home receives via TV cable through the provider=20
Urbanet of Lausanne (see <http://www.urbanet.ch>)

Urbant's tehnician came to my home and checked his part of=20
the installation, which works (Modem brand: Teraillon).=20
This is confirmed by the fact that my wife's portable PC=20
does indeed communicate properly with Internet while=20
connected to our TV cable at home.

Through "ipconfig" in DOS mode on my (defaulting) PC, we=20
can see that the IP address stays at the Microsoft Default=20
Number (269.xx.etc) and does not convert into the=20
urbanet's sent signal (IP Number set in automatic mode).=20
This IP address can be changed manually but doesn't change=20
automatically.

A friend of mine who is a professional consultant in PC's=20
ran a number of tests on this PC without success. However,=20
he arrives to the following conclusions:
- The function "restaurer le PC =E0 une date=20
ant=E9rieure" (under "system tools" of Windows XP) doesn't=20
give any result, the answer to the request being =AB Aucune=20
restauration n'a pu =EAtre effectu=E9e" after the system has=20
tried this procedure for about 30 seconds (we tried this=20
at different recovery dates without any success).
- While connected to a LAN network, my PC is capable=20
to communicate with IP numbers but is incapable to=20
translate letter addresses (or DNS ? eg bluewin.ch) into=20
IP Number addresses (eg 080.xx.yy.etc). In other words,=20
while connected to specific IP numbers, my PC receives=20
packets of bits, but while connecting through letter (or=20
DNS ?) addresses, the PC receives no "bits" at all).
- We hence conclude that the LAN card of my PC=20
functions properly.
- There seems to be a problem with a file=20
called "SHDOCLC.DLL" (or something alike) in the=20
C:/windows/system32 directory.
- The problem could be related to a file in the=20
Microsoft Explorer program (probably version 6 ?).

Can you help me out with this problem, for which I=20
personnaly can't think of any solution ?

Thank you in advance, regards,

Selected configuration data:
PC bought in August (?) 2002
Penthium III 1,6 MHz / 256MB DDR RAM
GeForce -CD-R writer - CD ROM reader -=20
Ethernet LAN 100/10 "Realtek"
Windows XP - Home edition, originally installed by=20
Internex/Lausanne) see <http://www.Internex.ch>), the=20
retailer which sold me this (then) new PC=20
=AB Norton Antivirus =BB et =AB Ad Aware =BB installed and in=20
function
Internet connexion via TV cable (urbanet.ch)
Updates regularly installed when received and notified=20
through pop-up.

Alexandre Poltier
31, av. de l'Elys=E9e - 1006 Lausanne
T=E9l: +41 21 311 30 31 - Mobile +41 78 842 38 70
e-mail: apoltier@freesurf.ch

Gastounet
Joie et Félicité Alexandre Poltier, que je salue bien bas, a soudainement
pondu ceci :
dans son message < 1b07b01c44fd0$69b332c0$ >
| Ladies and Gentlemen,
|
| (NB: I am writing from my professional office, and some of
| the data below are approximative)

Unfortunately, here is a french news group..
It would be better to post to an English speaking group..
You know .fr. in the group address is french.. Try with .en. or .us.
Or speak in french.. Please

And, over all, don't put your correct address, phone and mail adress in any
news group
this is an open door for millions of Spams...... It's too late for you..
8-(((

Good Luck

--
Cordialement