Parlez-vous anglais? Cegetel Problems.

web
Hi all,

Sorry to have to speak English on this group but my French is very
bad. Hope you don't mind practicing some English?! :-)

I've just signed up to Cegetel ADSL in Paris and have received my
Wireless kit and connected up to the internet. The first day
everything ran perfectly - a very fast connection.

However, since then the connection has become terrible and is now no
longer useable.

The web runs very very slowly and I keep getting

'Cannot find server or DNS Error'

with the browser, and email fails to send with the error

'A TCP/IP error occurred, Error Number 0x8000CCC13'

I don't think this is a problem with my PC, as dial-up works ok and I
have the same web errors using the Firefox browser. TCP/IP is all set
to auto.

My girlfriend has phoned Cegetel support for me, but they just keep
getting us to clean the cache and cookies. Makes no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a reset or something that
Cegetel can do?
Could it be a problem with my Inventel Wireless Router? It all looks
ok.

Many thanks in advance,

Scott HATTON
A disappointed Cegetel user....

1 2
Scott
Scott Hatton wrote:
"David" wrote in message

"Scott Hatton" a écrit dans le message de

news wrote in message

What I've noticed is that it seems to struggle when uploading. I
can

just about receive mail off some of my POP3 accounts but can
never

send (through smpt.cegetel.net )

Check your MTU of your PPPoE connexion on the routeur and try to
put a value

lower than 1492, til everything is Ok:-)

Thanks again for the replies.

Still getting the problem, but think I am narrowing it down. It
definately seems that the problems are occuring with uploads rather
than downloads.

For example I seem to be able to receive email ok, but not send. I
can sometimes get small emails out, but anything large (for example
with an attachment) will hardly ever go. I've had more success by
changing the smtp server name for Cegetel over into the IP address,
but it's not a vast improvement. Also, I can read mail ok on my
Yahoo

account but can never compose.
Thinking it was a DNS problem I manually entered the Cegetel DNS
server on my TCP/IP settings but it didn't help.

The available upload/download shown for the ADSL connection seems
correct on the router (1216 down, 320 down). Unfortunatly the
Inventel won't let me alter the MTU settings.

Hopefully will try the other computer Friday so this will prove
beyond

doubt if it is my PC. Might also take my laptop for a walk around
Paris tomorrow and see if I can pick up an open Wireless connection
and use that!

To be continued. Thanks for your suggestions and for putting up with
my lack of French.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that my ADSL issues are now resolved.

After speaking to the technical people again, we gave up and decided to
speak to the sales line and threaten to cancel.
They investigated the account and found that it has been suspended.
Very strange, as I'd only just received my first bill. This may have
been because they thought they had send me the ADSL router a long time
again, when in fact it was stuck in the system and was never posted.
However, I don't understand why was the ADSL was half working, not cut
off completely.
They promised to reconnect it last night. Nothing happened after two
hours of waiting so we phoned again today and after two calls, finally
got someone to reconnect me.
Now all up and running again. Cegetel have promised to give me a months
free ADSL as an apology.

Things I can't understand:

Why are they so keen to cut people off so quickly (without posting or
emailing a warning)?
Why can't the technical people see if an account has been suspended?
Why, if the account is suspended, could I still get some internet
service? Surely it should just die completely?
Why does it take a thousand phone calls to get things fixed? :-)
Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Scott

Thierry B.

Things I can't understand:

Why are they so keen to cut people off so quickly (without posting or
emailing a warning)? Why can't the technical people see if an
account has been suspended? Why, if the account is suspended, could I
still get some internet service? Surely it should just die
completely? Why does it take a thousand phone calls to get things
fixed? :-) Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Scott

Welcome to the french adsl market :-P . You discover what we are all
experiencing more or less with our broadband connections. While this
business is on a rocket speed trend since 2 years (in price and speed),
the drawback is that customer support follows the exactly same reverse
trend. :-(

Thierry B.

--
Click below to answer / cliquez ci dessous pour me repondre
http://cerbermail.com/?MQkxTL4vUP

nospam
Scott Hatton wrote:

Sorry to have to speak English on this group but my French is very
bad. Hope you don't mind practicing some English?! :-)

I've just signed up to Cegetel ADSL in Paris and have received my
Wireless kit and connected up to the internet. The first day
everything ran perfectly - a very fast connection.

However, since then the connection has become terrible and is now no
longer useable.

The web runs very very slowly and I keep getting
'Cannot find server or DNS Error'

I have this kind of problem from time to time (not with Cegetel, but I
got them with 2 ISP using 2 differents routers), it almost always comes
from my router.

Try to restart it to see if this solves the problems.

--
Romuald Brunet, ICQ 33033393, http://mog.online.fr

Remplacez nospam par mon prénom pour me contacter par email

1 2