Problems distribution IIS based application

Hello,

We are making a web based application which uses IIS 5.0 and above. The
application is designed to be installed and run from:

Windows 2003 Server

Windows 2000 Server

Windows XP Professional

Windows 2000 Professional

Our problem is simple, the majority of people download and install on their
Windows XP Professional computer to test the application. If they like that's
the time they deploy it to say a Windows 2003 server. The problem is that we
know that many installations are not successful because of:

1.. Virus Scanner with script blocking and the like.
2.. Software Firewalls that somehow interfere with IIS.
3.. Corrupted IIS installations. IIS is installed but does not work for
various reasons.

Number 1 and 2 we can handle because we warn our users ahead of time to turn
off things like script blocking.

Number 3 is very difficult to handle. Just the other day we had a potential
customer who claimed that our software was the worst shi. he had ever in his
entire life seen because it could not start. After a phone call and some
trying around it turned out that the IIS was corrupted because not even a
single html page could be loaded using his IIS.

This time we were lucky because we had a chance solve things and get our
customer on the way. However, when we do not hear from a customer who has a
problem, we not only loose a potential sale (which is very bad) we also get
labeled as bunch of unprofessional clowns who send out software that cannot
work. Little do they know that their IIS is corrupted.

As a general rule we never have problems on windows 2000 and 2003 servers as
well as Windows 2000 Professional.

Does anyone have an idea to what we can do in this situation?

Questions:

a) Is there a tool that we can distribute with the application that "fixes"
the IIS on the fly, or at least tells the user exactly what is wrong?

b) Should we be tough and disallow installation on Windows XP Professional,
and in the process maybe loose potential customers because they do not want
to go through the hazel of setting up a server, or may not even have a
server?

c) Do you think that people will be reluctant to purchase an IIS application
due to the many virus threats and worms when they know that they need to
disable script blocking?

d) Are there anyone with similar problems, and if so how do you solve it?

Our goal is: To have a setup routine that allows our customers to setup and
try of web bases software on their Windows XP Machines without needing to
have a PHP in advanced computer engineering. It has to be easy and fast.

Hope to hear something intelligent because this is REALLY a problem.

Regards,

Peter

Andreas Klein [MSFT]
wrote in message

3.. Corrupted IIS installations. IIS is installed but does not work for
various reasons.

Number 1 and 2 we can handle because we warn our users ahead of time to
turn

off things like script blocking.

Number 3 is very difficult to handle. Just the other day we had a
potential

customer who claimed that our software was the worst shi. he had ever in
his

entire life seen because it could not start. After a phone call and some
trying around it turned out that the IIS was corrupted because not even a
single html page could be loaded using his IIS.

At that point you might want to refer them to us (Microsoft Support) so we
can help them fix the IIS setup. There is unfortunately not a single big
problem that can be fixed automatically.

You might want to create a test run that makes sure that html pages are
served correctly before you let them install your application.

I hope this helps.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards,

Andreas Klein
Microsoft Services

Die Inhalte der in dieser Newsgroup eingestellten Nachrichten stammen von
Dritten. Microsoft kann daher für die Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit der
Inhalte keine Haftung übernehmen.

yes, we should refeer them to microsoft. We have tried that but they do not
want to spend time on the phone for technical support which, most of the
time they have to pay for. They say yes, we'll do it, but they do not get it
done, therefor, as good a suggestion as it is, it will not solve any problem
for us...

wrote in message

[...]

rights.

by the way...we do include a "Readiness Wizard" with the installation that
through 8 or so steps check the computer and warn them of problems ahead of
time. So, we warn them of porblems and offer solutions. But when a person
has tried for 15 min. and it still does not work he or she gives up and move
onto something else...and will never look at our software agiain...