Question in English; adsl via tele2, problems on phone line?

felix smeets
Dear readers,

My parents live in the south west region of France, and I am here now for
holidays.
Since Oct 2004 they have a subscription to ADSL from tele2.
For that they obtained an USB ADSL modem from BeWan, which they hire.

Since the beginning they suffer from a modem which disconnects (red light
on) after variable time in operation.
The only way to re-connect the modem-pc connection is pick up the phone and
dial some number, disconnect the phone, and - there it is again, the two
green lights. This problem usually occurs twice per hour, and is annoying.
We tried already several options:
- adsl filters in each of the four telephone sockets
- disconnected a telephone fax/answering device
- newest driver installed for usb modem (1.9.0.10)
- phoned with tele2 helpdesk for advise, few times with no results
Tele2 does not want to change the modem, as they claim it is not the modem
causing the problem.
The pc is a quite a recent one. Windows XP.

The owner of a pc shop told us it most probably is the phone connection, not
supporting the 512 connection at those times.
He advised us to look in the contract on how to cancel this and switch to
wanadoo (as they work closely with France Telecom, the line owners).

Any advise on this would be appreciated very much.
For anti spam reasons, I moderated the e-mail address.
Replying to the group is preferred.

Thanks, Edgar

Eiffel
Hello Edgar,

a good start, maybe, would be to test your line :

http://www.degrouptest.com/test.php
or
http://www.webmaster-experience.net/test-adsl/

HTH
Eiffel
Jil S
felix smeets a exprimé avec précision :
[...]

Your pc is not responsable. You should test your connection within
anything ese connected than your modem, and if possible without filter
(which is not useful for modem, it's useful for analogic terminals:
phones, fax modem 56K etc...)

If disconnections appear again, your connection télé2 with your phone
line is really "weak" , so the best is to test with degroup-test as
says Eiffel and to change for the best operateur.

Wanadoo-FT is not the best, but it is true that he has facilities to
repear easily your line, if the physical line and physical connextions
have problems. For example, if you can stop télé2, you can try
FT-Wanadoo during 1 or 2 months with a special contract without
engagement, eXtense Haut debit 512 :
http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?service=wanadoo_et_moi&u=http://nos-offres.wanadoo.fr/of1.html
or
http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/vf/internet_multimedia/index.htm
and you can winn a modem 512K for 1¤ :-)

Then, you close your contract FT-Wanadoo, and can try an other
operateur.
Personaly , I love Freebox, you can see if your caracteristics of
connection free are good enougth or not

The owner of a pc shop told us it most probably is the phone connection, not
supporting the 512 connection at those times.

degroup-test - may be you are very far from NRA ( Central of telecom
FT)

He advised us to look in the contract on how to cancel this and switch to
wanadoo (as they work closely with France Telecom, the line owners).

Yep :-)

good luck

--

Jil S

Bertrand
In article (Dans l'article) <pOvse.1294$,
"felix smeets" <les3ailes[nospam]@tele2.fr> wrote (écrivait) :

[...]

Sometimes the disconnects are due to the USB Chip on the motherboard
(the current the can deliver is sometimes a bit short for usb modems).

USB from Intel usually don't suffer from that, mostly VIA chips are
concerned. One solution in this case is to download a new driver from
either the motherboard manufacturer or directly from VIA or other brand.

Prosper
Eiffel wrote:

http://www.webmaster-experience.net/test-adsl/

This is no longer maintained. Prefer the other.

Jil S
Bertrand a présenté l'énoncé suivant :

USB from Intel usually don't suffer from that, mostly VIA chips are
concerned. One solution in this case is to download a new driver from
either the motherboard manufacturer or directly from VIA or other brand.

or to stop using usb for ethernet modem and cable ! :-) You're right
it's a lot better

--

Jil S