Reception de France 2-5 via Eutelsat/Atlantic Bird 3

Agner Krarup Erlang
Bonjour,

excusez-moi pour l'Anglais, but my French is a bit rusty :]

A friend would like to receive France 2-5. As it seems, these channels
are broadcasted via Eutelsat's Atlantic Bird 3, however
www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html lists two DVB transponders, one carries free,
one encrypted. Where's the difference?

The page on international reception on francetv.fr says that
broadcasting stops at 19:00, is that correct? The page doesn't really
seem to be up-to-date, as it misses France 4.

Furthermore, as I couldn't find any info on satellite reception
specifically for French viewers on francetv.fr: How do you receive these
channels in France by satellite? Do you get free cards or do you have to
pay extra to view these public channels?

Merci,
Agner

fox-35
On 10 fév, 14:21, Agner Krarup Erlang
wrote:
Bonjour,

excusez-moi pour l'Anglais, but my French is a bit rusty :]

A friend would like to receive France 2-5. As it seems, these channels
are broadcasted via Eutelsat's Atlantic Bird 3, howeverwww.lyngsat.com/ab 3.htmllists two DVB transponders, one carries free,
one encrypted. Where's the difference?

France 2-5 are broadcasted in FTA - DVB on Atlantic Bird3 (5° west)
The other transponder carries private channels of our DTT TV (TF1, M6,
W9, ........), but this transponder can be decrypted only by
professionnals. The AB3 satellite provides signal TV for a part of our
terrestrial transmitters analog and DTT (TNT in french).

The page on international reception on francetv.fr says that
broadcasting stops at 19:00, is that correct? The page doesn't really
seem to be up-to-date, as it misses France 4.

The information is wrong. All the channels are broadcasted 24 hours a
day.

Furthermore, as I couldn't find any info on satellite reception
specifically for French viewers on francetv.fr: How do you receive these
channels in France by satellite? Do you get free cards or do you have to
pay extra to view these public channels?

In FTA digital we have only France 2-5 on AB3.
In FTA analog we have TF1, France 2, France 3, C+ (not all the time in
clear), Arte and M6 also on AB3. (End in 2011)

To receive all the DTT channels (18 channels) by satellite, we must
subscribe at least to a basic package on Canalsat (Astra 19°2 East) or
TPS (Hotbird 13° East) providers.
But be aware :
The 21st march, Canalsat and TPS will merge. Provider's name will
become "Canal Plus France", and at the begining 2008 will be
broadcasted only on Astra .

To receive only all the DTT channels on satellite (without any
subscription), the 18 channels should be broadcasted FTV on
AtlanticBird3. (Same stuff as your Freeview I guess.) But we don't
have all the news, yet. You know, there will be a presidential
election in 3 months, and lot of things can change !!!!!

Merci,
Agner

You're welcome.
Bochets34
wrote:
The information is wrong. All the channels are broadcasted 24 hours a
day.

the information is partially right !!

France 5 and Arte share the same channel in analog for AB3 12606 V...same as
terrestrial broadcasts

cheers,

Olivier
fox-35
On 11 fév, 10:01, "Bochets34" wrote:
wrote:
> The information is wrong. All the channels are broadcasted 24 hours a
> day.

the information is partially right !!

France 5 and Arte share the same channel in analog for AB3 12606 V...same as
terrestrial broadcasts

cheers,

Olivier

I agree with you (and I've forgotten this... I watch only digitals
channels now), but here we didn't speak about analog transmissions,
only DVB's.
In digital transmissions on AB3, France 5 and Arte aren't broadcasted
on the same channel and they are broadcasted 24/24.

I've just checked out on the web site francetv.fr and IMHO this web
site is a mess !!! ;-)

Regards
David
The free transponder (11591V) has been around for a while and is much
appreciated by francophiles in the UK.

As I understand it this transponder could change at some time in the
future to a highly encrypted multiplex for feeding the terrestrial
transmitter system.

However there is supposed to be an official satellite system soon
designed for french residents who cannot receive a good terrestrial
signal. I think this will be encrypted and people will have to pay a
one-off payment for the card. It will be launched when suitably cheap
set-top boxes are available in the shops. I may have this wrong, but
they will need to do something before they switch off the analogue
signal. What I don't understand is why it has to be encrypted. After
all many French viewers can receive BBC and other English programmes,
why make the reverse impossible?

From the information on Lyngsat, 11554V uses MPEG-4 Viaccess 2.6 for

the FranceTV channels, including the overseas channel and 11607V has 2
France3 regional versions, both free but again MPEG-4, which I haven't
got the right box for. I am waiting for the cheap boxes and I hope
they will be available soon.

I love the French, but why do they have to make it so complicated?

By the way I do pay my TV "redevance" in France so I don't feel guilty
about watching french TV in the UK.

David
Agner Krarup Erlang
David a écrit:
What I don't understand is why it has to be encrypted. After
all many French viewers can receive BBC and other English programmes,
why make the reverse impossible?

Most likely for the same reason many other (public) channels in Europe
-including BBC and ITV until some years ago- are encrypted: License
fees. It seems to be considerably less expensive to buy third-party
programming for the "few" local viewers only than for all of the two to
four hundred million viewers across Europe.

The reason that the British channels are not encrypted anymore is AFAIK
that their dedicated satellite beam is quite tightly focused on the
British islands (see http://astra2d.com/astra2d-footprint.htm ).
Obviously it is not impossible outside the UK, but to get BBC and ITV
e.g. in Hamburg under all weather conditions, you'll need at least a 1m
dish, in Berlin a 2m dish is recommended (the standard dish for German
channels is 50cm). France is just in the lucky position of being located
right south of the UK, between the islands and the satellite.

Anyway, merci beaucoup for the info about France 2-5, much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Agner
matthieu
> The reason that the British channels are not encrypted anymore is AFAIK
that their dedicated satellite beam is quite tightly focused on the
British islands (see http://astra2d.com/astra2d-footprint.htm ).
Obviously it is not impossible outside the UK, but to get BBC and ITV
e.g. in Hamburg under all weather conditions, you'll need at least a 1m
dish, in Berlin a 2m dish is recommended (the standard dish for German
channels is 50cm). France is just in the lucky position of being located
right south of the UK, between the islands and the satellite.

Il faut de si grosse antenne pour astra à 28° en france ?

Pour le capter confortablement de la côte méditerranéennes, quel
diamètre est à conseiller ?

Matthieu
David
> Pour le capter confortablement de la côte méditerranéennes, quel
diamètre est à conseiller ?

Matthieu

Notre maison est pres de Lamastre (07270). Autrefois j'avais un
parabole de 60 cm, mais en temps de pluie.... rien. Maintenant j'ai un
parabole de 80cm et c'est bien.

David
Agner Krarup Erlang
matthieu a écrit:
Il faut de si grosse antenne pour astra à 28° en france ?

Pour le capter confortablement de la côte méditerranéennes, quel
diamètre est à conseiller ?

According to http://astra2d.com/astra2d-france.htm between 0,6m and
1,5m. See also http://astra2d.com/france.htm .

Kind regards,
Agner
Anic
Agner Krarup Erlang a écrit :
David a écrit:
What I don't understand is why it has to be encrypted. After
all many French viewers can receive BBC and other English programmes,
why make the reverse impossible?

Most likely for the same reason many other (public) channels in Europe
-including BBC and ITV until some years ago- are encrypted: License
fees. It seems to be considerably less expensive to buy third-party
programming for the "few" local viewers only than for all of the two to
four hundred million viewers across Europe.

That does not make sense: they are actually clear in analog (the 6
historical ones).