Remote Assistance In Widnows 98??

Prodigy
Hello everyone. Well I have a simple question. My friend is at college and I
am trying to explain to her what to check to see if that will correct some
problems shes having. I know windows xp has something called remote
assistance where u can log into there computer and fix everything. Is there
anyway i can help her through windows 98. Her operating system is windows 98
by the way. Anything at all? Thanks alot!

Eckertusaf@comcast.net

Gary S. Terhune
No, there is no such thing included in Windows before Windows XP. Only
third-party options, which aren't cheap and require installations on both
ends. Like PCAnywhere.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

Prodigy wrote:
Hello everyone. Well I have a simple question. My friend is at
college and I am trying to explain to her what to check to see if
that will correct some problems shes having. I know windows xp has
something called remote assistance where u can log into there
computer and fix everything. Is there anyway i can help her through
windows 98. Her operating system is windows 98 by the way. Anything
at all? Thanks alot!

Mario Bigras
Yes and no.
Of course PCAnywhere is a commercial product which cost big buck unless of
course you download a (cough cough) pirated version on Kazaa.

Of course mankind always use good tool to do evil : Trojans horses. Those
are the same as PCAnywhere except they are usually used maliciously. They
were created as tool to operate a computer from remote location which is
great and which is exactly what you need for Denial of service attack (Dos
attack) hence the popularity among computer thugs. But you just use it for
your needs not for malicious uses.

Either you get PCAnywhere from the store. (Don't do that).
Or
You get it from Kazaa (
Or
You just go to any hacker site for a copy of any good Trojan horse like
subseven. It works very well through HTTP. Of course any antivirus and
firewall will pitch a major fit if you were to try to run those executable
on your computer. Just ignore those : the antivirus/firewall thinks you're
getting infected by a bad guy without your knowledge not that your using the
program as a tool for remote computer control over HTTP.

BTW : Very easy to find a copy of PCAnywhere on Kazaa. It's a complete CD
so you need high speed connection.

Prodigy wrote:
> Hello everyone. Well I have a simple question. My friend is at
> college and I am trying to explain to her what to check to see if
> that will correct some problems shes having. I know windows xp has
> something called remote assistance where u can log into there
> computer and fix everything. Is there anyway i can help her through
> windows 98. Her operating system is windows 98 by the way. Anything
> at all? Thanks alot!

Gary S. Terhune
I prefer not to advise users to download/install unknown software,
particularly illegally obtained unknown software. How is one to know that
the download from Kazaa is not altered for malicious purpose?

In particular, anyone who didn't already know your answer is not technically
trained to know or discover what possible problems may result.

In short, I consider your advice to be less than useful to the OP--downright
dangerous, in fact.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

Prodigy wrote:
Hello everyone. Well I have a simple question. My friend is at
college and I am trying to explain to her what to check to see if
that will correct some problems shes having. I know windows xp has
something called remote assistance where u can log into there
computer and fix everything. Is there anyway i can help her through
windows 98. Her operating system is windows 98 by the way. Anything
at all? Thanks alot!

fab
use netmeeting is free.
U should have it on 98
To see if u have it type "conf" at the run command.
Then use the share desktop option.

Mario Bigras wrote:
> Yes and no.
> Of course PCAnywhere is a commercial product which cost big buck
> unless of course you download a (cough cough) pirated version on
> Kazaa.
>
> Of course mankind always use good tool to do evil : Trojans horses.
> Those are the same as PCAnywhere except they are usually used
> maliciously. They were created as tool to operate a computer from
> remote location which is great and which is exactly what you need for
> Denial of service attack (Dos attack) hence the popularity among
> computer thugs. But you just use it for your needs not for malicious
> uses.
>
> Either you get PCAnywhere from the store. (Don't do that).
> Or
> You get it from Kazaa (
> Or
> You just go to any hacker site for a copy of any good Trojan horse
> like subseven. It works very well through HTTP. Of course any
> antivirus and firewall will pitch a major fit if you were to try to
> run those executable on your computer. Just ignore those : the
> antivirus/firewall thinks you're getting infected by a bad guy
> without your knowledge not that your using the program as a tool for
> remote computer control over HTTP.
>
> BTW : Very easy to find a copy of PCAnywhere on Kazaa. It's a
> complete CD so you need high speed connection.
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote in message
>> No, there is no such thing included in Windows before Windows XP.
>> Only third-party options, which aren't cheap and require
>> installations on both ends. Like PCAnywhere.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP for Windows 9x
>>
>> Prodigy wrote:
>>> Hello everyone. Well I have a simple question. My friend is at
>>> college and I am trying to explain to her what to check to see if
>>> that will correct some problems shes having. I know windows xp has
>>> something called remote assistance where u can log into there
>>> computer and fix everything. Is there anyway i can help her through
>>> windows 98. Her operating system is windows 98 by the way. Anything
>>> at all? Thanks alot!

Artic-C
*Bonjour fab* qui par son clavier nous dit :

I prefer not to advise users to download/install unknown software,
particularly illegally obtained unknown software. How is one to know
that the download from Kazaa is not altered for malicious purpose?

In particular, anyone who didn't already know your answer is not
technically trained to know or discover what possible problems may
result.

In short, I consider your advice to be less than useful to the
OP--downright dangerous, in fact.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

damn right !

but
Real VNC is free and works fine
(the thing is all about not leting turned on the VNC Server after and
rechange the password)
and its configuration at the installation procedure
http://www.realvnc.com/
--
¥©¥
[MVP-Windows-IE/OE]
Gary S. Terhune
I was wondering if there was a decent freeware option. Hadn't known of any
before. Not sure why I didn't consider NetMeeting, though it's been a long
time since I tried using it, and it always seemed more trouble than it was
worth. I'll have to give these things a try.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP for Windows 9x

[...]

Liopleurodon
" ¥©¥ [MVP]" ¥©¥@artic.qc.ca> wrote in message

Real VNC is free and works fine
(the thing is all about not leting turned on the VNC Server after and
rechange the password)
and its configuration at the installation procedure
http://www.realvnc.com/

I too can vouch for realvnc. I've used it on numerous occasions to remotely
control,clean-up and generally troubleshoot.

--
Richard :) "Productively wasting time"

If replying directly, remove "aqua".

-----
Markem
In article ,
says...
No, there is no such thing included in Windows before Windows XP. Only
third-party options, which aren't cheap and require installations on both
ends. Like PCAnywhere.

TightVNC is free and can accomplish remote connections.