USB driver for the palm m515

Eli Aran
I have winxp pro and my CPU/Ram are: p4 2.4GHz 256MB
I need a driver to support the USB connection from my palm hand held
to my pc.
the Hotsync app provided by the Palm CD only offers me to choose
between COM1 and COM3. no USB option to select.
the Palm web site support told me to log into windows as
administrator and re-install the Palm Desktop program again from the CD but
did not provide the USB option to choose either.
I connect the USB cable from the cradle to a USB slot in my pc and
press the synchronization button on the cradle or select the Hotsync program
in it. if device manager is open I can see suddenly a new "unknown USB
device" in the hardware list with code 28 in its properties. this device
disappears with its yellow question mark immediately after the
synchronization fails and stops.
I need a USB driver for the palm m515 I have, because so-far I can
only use it as stand alone or to recharge the battery - no synchronization
or installation possible in it.
note: all the USB devices are working well in the device manager list.
(is it possible that the palm cradle USB connection cable is physically
damaged?)
thank you

---

1 2
Michael Eyd
Eli Aran schrieb:

I wonder if the USB cable is physically damaged or else the palm m515 would
not synchronize with a USB cable in the first place.

I don't know whether the cable is damaged, but the M515 can definitively
synchronize via USB (I use it myself). And there is only one craddle
type available from Palm which has a USB connector and a Universal
Connector for the Palm (that's the name of the Palm-side interface). So
if the M515 fits properly into the connector (which it does, otherwise
the PC wouldn't recognize the Palm at all) it's the correct craddle.

if it's damaged then its a factory issue for not checking the equipment.
if the palm m515 is not going to work with USB in the first place then why
did they put such a cradle in the package to begin with?

This combination is working!

the palm package contained a CD with an incompatible version for the USB
cable too, so if they had a USB cradle that is ALSO incompatible with the
palm itself then how am I supposed to connect it to my pc and synchronize
it????

I'm just wondering why you keep on talking about a cable? Do you really
only get a cable or did you get a craddle (a base on which you can put
your Palm, connecting it automatically with the PC)? Getting an 'old' CD
with incorrect drivers though makes me wonder where you bought the
package in the first place...

Regards,

Michael

--
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy,
the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France
Eli Aran
I got the package as a gift from a friend in the USA.
I contained the hand-held, the USB cradle and a CD.
it was a new closed package.
the CD contained a version 3.0 Palm Desktop application that (Palm web
support confirmed) was not compatible with the USB cradle.
downloaded version 4.1 and finally had a USB option to select during
installation.
I installed as admin because they said in WinXP it should be done this way.
I was still not able to synchronize.
I went back to log as myself and had to install the app a second time
because it did not show up for my user account.
I selected USB again during installation and it showed up again in the
Hotsync tray icon BUT the synchronization either with the cradle button or
with the Hotsync palm application was still failing all the time.
when Device Manager was open I could always see a new unknown USB device
appear with a yellow question mark during the synchronization attempt, that
vanished right after its failure. it had a "code 28" (unknown device) in its
properties.
I checked that all the dll files mentioned in the message group replies were
actually in place.
I moved the USB connection cable from the front of the pc to the rear and
tried synchronizing again in both methods again and it failed again with the
same features I mentioned before.
palm support only tells me to reinstall the same way they told me the first
time (so this isn't getting me closer).
while I am able to charge the battery and use the hand held as a stand alone
machine, I am getting frustrated at the fact that I am unable to communicate
between the two. :-((