vlook adding more than one instance

ExcelUser777
Good Evening

All - I have searched this group high and low for an answer and I can't

seem to grasp anything to create what I'm after.. Though I totally
appreciate all the information

Here it goes...

I have 2 sheets in Excel. The first sheet in Excel lists a master
financial statement description list of the balance sheet, a balance
sheet if you will

First Sheet - Master Balance Sheet

cash
accounts receivable
prepaid assets

I assigned a numerical value for each
Cash = 1
Accounts Receivable = 2
prepaid assets = 3
All the way from "1" = Cash to "41" = Total Liabilites and Owners
Equity

Second Sheet - Balance Sheet has different descriptions but in the end
only 41 different numbers will be picked up from sheet 2

This sheet contains a financial statement with

Cash = "1" 40,000
Money Market = "1" 20,000
Accounts Receivable = "2" 20,000
Prepaid Assets = "3" 10,000

All the way down to "41" = Total Liabilites and Owners Equity

I KNOW THAT VLOOKUP WILL ONLY PICK UP THE 40,000 and not the 20,000
because VLOOKUP will only pick up one instance...

How do I get Excel to pick up all instances of 1 all instances of 2
etc... without using SUMIF?
I tried sumif, but that didn't seem to work right ...

Thanks,
ExcelUser777

lSteph
Bonjour,(Hello)

Tu es sur un news group Français(Here's French group, we may use it for your
sample, if i understand rightly)
Si je comprends bien ici on utiliserait: =sommeprod((a1:a5=1)*(b1:b5))
Perhaps in English as =sumproduct((a1:a5=1)*(b1:b5))

Amicalement (Friendly)

'lSteph