Windows Update: Installation Failure (Error 80200010)

John Wulfsohn
Following a lot of publicity about the latest Windows XP security updates, I
have tried repeatedly to download and install them over the last 24 hours.
Unfortunately, each time I get the same error message (80200010).

I have been unable to find anything remotely relevant in the usual places
(Knowledge Base, FAQs and Microsoft Community Newsgroups.

Can anyone point me to a database of such error messages and the requisite
fixes?

Cheers.

Pierre
Hello,
Can you speak french
Pierre
http://assitancewindows.free.fr
"John Wulfsohn" <John a écrit dans le
message de news:
Following a lot of publicity about the latest Windows XP security updates,
have tried repeatedly to download and install them over the last 24 hours.
Unfortunately, each time I get the same error message (80200010).

I have been unable to find anything remotely relevant in the usual places
(Knowledge Base, FAQs and Microsoft Community Newsgroups.

Can anyone point me to a database of such error messages and the requisite
fixes?

Cheers.

Claude LaFrenière
HI *John Wulfsohn* :

Following a lot of publicity about the latest Windows XP security updates, I
have tried repeatedly to download and install them over the last 24 hours.
Unfortunately, each time I get the same error message (80200010).

I have been unable to find anything remotely relevant in the usual places
(Knowledge Base, FAQs and Microsoft Community Newsgroups.

Can anyone point me to a database of such error messages and the requisite
fixes?

Cheers.

Well, I found somethings related to your problem in w xp sp2 archives:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/2004-08/6568.html

May be an internet connection problem.Line disconnected for some reason...

May be this (my opinion...) : Background Intelligent Transfer service not
activated or not automatic... This service is needed for downloading MS
Updates...

Check it that way :
Start | run | services.msc

You can also check in the News Group list for a group dedicated for Windows
Update problems...

Also it's possible to communicate with the poeple of MS about such update
problems.(Check on MS web site)

Best regards

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière

John Wulfsohn
Hi.

Pierre, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I can both read and speak French but I prefer to write in (my native)
English.

Cheers.

See ya.

"Pierre" wrote:

Hello,
Can you speak french
Pierre
http://assitancewindows.free.fr
"John Wulfsohn" <John a écrit dans le
message de news:
Following a lot of publicity about the latest Windows XP security updates,
have tried repeatedly to download and install them over the last 24 hours.
Unfortunately, each time I get the same error message (80200010).

I have been unable to find anything remotely relevant in the usual places
(Knowledge Base, FAQs and Microsoft Community Newsgroups.

Can anyone point me to a database of such error messages and the requisite
fixes?

Cheers.

Claude LaFrenière
Hi *John Wulfsohn* :

Yes, I can both read and speak French but I prefer to write in (my native)
English.

Great !
Since you can read french there's a very good site for Windows Update error
messages + solutions....

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/WU5-FAQ.htm

Good Night :)

--
Claude LaFrenière

John Wulfsohn
Hi.

Claude, thanks for your reply.

I have never before had problems with Windows Update; I am using broadband;
the connection is working fine; Background Intelligent Transfer also seems to
be OK; I have tried deactivating the firewall; and, I have also tried
deactivating Downlad Accelerator Plus.

Having searched the dedicated Newsgroup, I guess it only remains for me to
try contacting MS directly, as you suggest.

Cheers.

See ya.

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

HI *John Wulfsohn* :

[...]

Claude LaFrenière
Bonjour *John Wulfsohn* :

Hi.

Claude, thanks for your reply.

I have never before had problems with Windows Update; I am using broadband;
the connection is working fine; Background Intelligent Transfer also seems to
be OK; I have tried deactivating the firewall; and, I have also tried
deactivating Downlad Accelerator Plus.

Having searched the dedicated Newsgroup, I guess it only remains for me to
try contacting MS directly, as you suggest.

Cheers.

See ya.

May be you'll find a solution at Doc XP :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/WU5-FAQ.htm

Good Night :)

--
Claude LaFrenière

John Wulfsohn
Hi.

Claude, thanks to you, I now have the list of error messages I was
originally looking for...

Unfortunately, my particular error message has the following explanation:
"BG_E_NETWORK_DISCONNECTED (0x80200010). The network card is inactive or
disconnected. All jobs are placed in the BG_JOB_STATE_TRANSIENT_ERROR state."

Since I am using an Alcatel Speed Touch ADSL"modem" which connects via a USB
port, I cannot for the life of me see its relevance and I can only assume
that I am getting a false error message.

At the same time, I am somewhat hesitant about contacting MS directly since,
essentially, what I would be doing is complainng about their rubbishy
downloader: this would not be the first time I've had problems getting files
directly from MS whereas I never, ever have problems with (the functionality
of) Downlad Accelerator Plus, for example.

Thus, I seem to be at a dead-end...

Claude, you wouldn't happen to know if there are any other sites where I
could go to get these downloads which trust me to do my own downloading
instead of trying to do it for me (and failing)...

With renewed gratitiude for your continuing interest and help.

See ya.

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

Bonjour *John Wulfsohn*

May be you'll find a solution at Doc XP :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/WU5-FAQ.htm

Good Night :)

Claude LaFrenière

zornhau
My aged father his having exactly the same problem! His internet
connection is fine - he tested this by downloading a very large app
from tucows.org. All attempts to update windows from the ms site end
with this error. I'd be really grateful for a workaround
Cheers and thanks
Zornhau
Claude LaFrenière
Bonjour ** :

My aged father his having exactly the same problem! His internet
connection is fine - he tested this by downloading a very large app
from tucows.org. All attempts to update windows from the ms site end
with this error. I'd be really grateful for a workaround
Cheers and thanks
Zornhau

The easiest way to find out a solution is to give us the exact error
message or the error number.(Somethings like "08x01234...")

If you speak french the best site is that one :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/WU5-FAQ.htm

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière