free database for Mac OS X?

justaguy
Hi,

I have just one more question about Mac and database... other than
FileMaker (Pro) is there any other database that I could freely bundle
with my software package? It appears mySQL (now under Oracle) is no
longer open source...

Thanks.

1 2 3 4
sebastienmarty
justaguy wrote:

On Nov 26, 1:36 pm, (René Chamayou) wrote:
> Only Nixon could go to China Blue wrote:
>
> > Sqlite is preinstalled on MacOSX. It's also available through CoreData.
>
> Oh! nous sommes où. En pays inconnu?
>
> --
> René
>
> Lascia la spina cogli la rosa

Google translation: where are we? in strange country.
Whatever it is, anything that contributes to the resolution of the
problem would be appreciated.

Nonetheless, could you please stop cross-posting to fr.comp.os.mac-os.x,
which is a /french-speaking/ group? Thx.

--
[SbM]
<http://sebastienmarty.free.fr> - <http://tradintosh.free.fr>
citoyen
Le 25/11/11 22:47, justaguy a écrit :
Hi,

I have just one more question about Mac and database... other than
FileMaker (Pro) is there any other database that I could freely bundle
with my software package? It appears mySQL (now under Oracle) is no
longer open source...

Thanks.

ici c'est la France, siouplé
justaguy
On Nov 26, 3:16 pm, Michael Vilain wrote:
In article
,

 justaguy wrote:
> On Nov 26, 11:07 am, Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article ,
> >  Michael Vilain wrote:

> > > SQLite is a 'backend' and would be of little use for customers.
> > > /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib is part of MacOS X, so the API is avail able
> > > for programs that call it.  Most programs that need some sort of
> > > smallish table-based database use it.  For example, Unison uses i t to
> > > keep the newgroups on each server it stores.  It's 'good enough' and
> > > unencumbered by any licensing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sqlite3 ).
> > > There are lots of GUI front-ends for it.  Find one you like, free or
> > > shareware, to use.

> > Indeed, searching MacUpdate for "SQLite" produces many tools designed to
> > work with in including tools to convert various database file formats to
> > something that works with SQLite.

> > --
> > Your time is limited.  Don't waste it living someone else's life.

> > Steve Jobs 1955-2011

> " many tools designed to work with in including tools to convert
> various database file formats to
> something that works with SQLite. ",
> Could you be more specific?  Thanks.

I found more hits than I wanted to post here.  So I left the research t o
you, if you're interested.  Seems you want other to do your heavy
lifting.  I use MesaSQLite to give me a GUI of existing databases.  I t's
all I need and it's $20.  Their MesaSQL runs on Windows for $20.

If you need something that you have to ensure is on the remote
installer's system or is part of an installer, that's another problem.

If you need something that for one time can read an Access database on
your development system, look at stuff like perl's DBI/ACCESS/ODBC
stuff.  It can read Access databases through ODBC and you can use perl
to populate a SQL database.  It won't cost you anything.  If you need to
do this programatically, write the code to read the Access database and
write the sqlite3 file according to the API.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically igno red]

At the risk of sounding rude. The app is a downloadable executable
and runs locally on a user's computer.
The task here is to port it to support Mac as well, I thought I put it
clearly in OP...
Some one has contributed their thoughts/knowledge others rumbled on
and on...
justaguy wrote:

On Nov 26, 1:36 pm, (René Chamayou) wrote:
> Only Nixon could go to China Blue wrote:
>
> > Sqlite is preinstalled on MacOSX. It's also available through CoreData.
>
> Oh! nous sommes où. En pays inconnu?
>
> --
> René
>
> Lascia la spina cogli la rosa

Google translation: where are we? in strange country.
Whatever it is, anything that contributes to the resolution of the
problem would be appreciated.

Examine the Newsgroups: line. The original post was in French before it got
crossposted. The above is a joke about the sudden influx of English.

--
White folks think they're at the top, | Ha, ha, that is very logical.
ask any proud white male. | I'm whoever you want me to be.
sebastienmarty
citoyen wrote:

Le 25/11/11 22:47, justaguy a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have just one more question about Mac and database... other than
> FileMaker (Pro) is there any other database that I could freely bundle
> with my software package? It appears mySQL (now under Oracle) is no
> longer open source...
>
> Thanks.
ici c'est la France, siouplé

La francophonie, plus exactement :)

--
[SbM]
<http://sebastienmarty.free.fr> - <http://tradintosh.free.fr>
<http://sbm.ordinotheque.free.fr> - <http://palmiciel.free.fr>
"If the French were really intelligent, they'd speak English" (W. Sheed)
Michael Vilain
In article
,
justaguy wrote:

On Nov 26, 3:16 pm, Michael Vilain wrote:
> In article
> ,
>

>  justaguy wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 11:07 am, Tim McNamara wrote:

> > > Indeed, searching MacUpdate for "SQLite" produces many tools designed
> > > work with in including tools to convert various database file formats
> > > something that works with SQLite.
>
> > > --
> > > Your time is limited.  Don't waste it living someone else's life.
>
> > > Steve Jobs 1955-2011
>
> > " many tools designed to work with in including tools to convert
> > various database file formats to
> > something that works with SQLite. ",
> > Could you be more specific?  Thanks.
>
> I found more hits than I wanted to post here.  So I left the research to
> you, if you're interested.  Seems you want other to do your heavy
> lifting.  I use MesaSQLite to give me a GUI of existing databases.  It's
> all I need and it's $20.  Their MesaSQL runs on Windows for $20.
>
> If you need something that you have to ensure is on the remote
> installer's system or is part of an installer, that's another problem.
>
> If you need something that for one time can read an Access database on
> your development system, look at stuff like perl's DBI/ACCESS/ODBC
> stuff.  It can read Access databases through ODBC and you can use perl
> to populate a SQL database.  It won't cost you anything.  If you need to
> do this programatically, write the code to read the Access database and
> write the sqlite3 file according to the API.
>
> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
> [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically
> ignored]

At the risk of sounding rude. The app is a downloadable executable
and runs locally on a user's computer.
The task here is to port it to support Mac as well, I thought I put it
clearly in OP...
Some one has contributed their thoughts/knowledge others rumbled on
and on...

That's was not made clear through this entire thread until now. I see
that you're going to have to do the 'not invented here' thing and write
your own reader of the Access database and populate a SQLite database
file on the installed system as part of the installation process. Or
you can convert the Access database to a more friendly format like CSV
and use perl to populate your SQLite tables on the installed system.

Either way, it's a business decision. Is the MacOS market worth it or
not? You can piss and moan all you want about MacOS being hostile to an
easy port, but it won't change anything. Try porting to Linux or DB2 on
VM. Probably not any money in it. If it's not worth it, walk away.

pdorange
Matt wrote:

> I have just one more question about Mac and database... other than
> FileMaker (Pro) is there any other database that I could freely bundle
> with my software package? It appears mySQL (now under Oracle) is no
> longer open source...

Il y a d'autres solutions comme PostgreSQL par exemple, que sa licence
permet entre autres ½uf Corse, sa redistribution.

sqlite est aussi livré d'origine (avec ces contraintes).

--
Pierre-Alain Dorange <http://microwar.sourceforge.net/>

Ce message est sous licence Creative Commons "by-nc-sa-2.0"
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/fr/>
Matt
On Mar 29 novembre 2011, 14:38,
Pierre-Alain Dorange wrote:

sqlite est aussi livré d'origine (avec ces contraintes).

Aussi oui et nos « amis » anglophones le lui ont suggéré.
Cela dit autant qu'il tape directement dans une base de données complète
ne sachant pas plus ce qu'il comptait faire avec.

--
echo '' |
tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'
pdorange
Matt wrote:

> sqlite est aussi livré d'origine (avec ces contraintes).

Aussi oui et nos « amis » anglophones le lui ont suggéré.
Cela dit autant qu'il tape directement dans une base de données complète
ne sachant pas plus ce qu'il comptait faire avec.

Bien sur, mais PostgreSQL n'est pas vraiment simple a mettre en ½uvre.

--
Pierre-Alain Dorange <http://microwar.sourceforge.net/>

Ce message est sous licence Creative Commons "by-nc-sa-2.0"
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/fr/>
Matt
On Mer 30 novembre 2011, 09:39,
Pierre-Alain Dorange wrote:

Bien sur, mais PostgreSQL n'est pas vraiment simple a mettre en œuvre.

Personne n'a dit que ça l'était mais on a rien sans bouger ses fesses.

--
echo '' |
tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'