You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-))

Sosumi
Hack the flash so you synch at 1/4000 !!!
I did it with the D40. Normal synch is already good at 1/500, but I want the
camera to do what I want, not what he wants. So yesterday I got my new SB
800 flash, very nice and fantastic features, like max. distance of over 50
meters!
Everything automatic, even the zoom up to 105 mm works together with the
lens and if the camera goes standby or you turn it of, so does the flash.

I had just finished the book (125 pages) and tried everything out. OK it
works as a slave and everything you can want in a flash: it has got it!
But I stay bothered by the max flash synch at 1/500. Why the heck is that? I
remember when I had the D80, it flashed at any speed I choose, with the
internal flash.
So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

That´s all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!! So I was able to FREEZE falling water from
the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.
But it´s digital, so you can fool around as much as necesary.

I did read most Canon camera´s can´t do this trick. Except maybe the older
ones or more/most expensive. But lemme know if it´s not true!
Also: show some pictures with what you can freeze here.

1 2 3
Wayne
In article ,
says...

After a run with paper targets and various delays we went to the dark
room to develop the film.

Then we made some guesses as to which delay would be best with the
bulb and shot a few of the bulbs. We got a couple of nice shots
(sic). The flying glass was nicely frozen and easily visible. I
don't recall if we caught or froze the bullet. I should still have
the picture somewhere but it could take me a while to find it.

Very interesting Seán. The flash can stop the bullet too, except it may have
moved out of the frame before the lamp fully reacted. The trick is some way
to trigger the flash at exactly the right instant that you want to capture,
like your microphone and audio path length. The shutter is simply open, and
the flash does all the work of stopping the action.

Film is the hard way. Digital makes this infinitely easier today, to be able
to see and tune results in real time.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Seán O'Leathlóbhair
On 13 Sep, 17:40, Wayne wrote:
In article ,
says...

After a run with paper targets and various delays we went to the dark
room to develop the film.

Then we made some guesses as to which delay would be best with the
bulb and shot a few of the bulbs. We got a couple of nice shots
(sic). The flying glass was nicely frozen and easily visible. I
don't recall if we caught or froze the bullet. I should still have
the picture somewhere but it could take me a while to find it.

Very interesting Seán. The flash can stop the bullet too, except it ma y have
moved out of the frame before the lamp fully reacted. The trick is some way
to trigger the flash at exactly the right instant that you want to captur e,
like your microphone and audio path length. The shutter is simply open, and
the flash does all the work of stopping the action.

Yes, that was what prompted me to make the post. I think that the
highest shutter speed was 1/500s. I dreamt of having 1/1000s or even
1/2000s which I had seen on more expensive cameras. Getting the
electronic flash was great since it was fast enough to freeze all
sorts of stuff, you just needed to do the stuff in the dark. Locking
the shutter open required a mechanical cable release with a locking
nut. Rather low tech. Flash sync was slow 1/60s or 1/125s, I forget
but as has been pointed out, that was not an issue for this
application.

Film is the hard way. Digital makes this infinitely easier today, to be able
to see and tune results in real time.

Well, digital cameras were hard to get in the 1970s especially with a
kid's pocket money. I was trying to find my camera a while ago on the
net. I have found some that look a bit like it but they don't exactly
fit my memory. The first picture on the Wikipedia page below looks
similar but the lens is wrong; I had a 50mm f/2.8. Just as I dreamed
of a higher shutter speed, I dreamed of a wider aperture such as the f/
1.8 in that picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praktica

Using the school Physic's lab with a darkroom next door helped. Black
and white only, of course.

Kids today would have access to nice digital cameras and computers but
probably would not be allowed to shoot light bulbs in the dark. I
think that we may have learned more our way.

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair

Fred
Ghost-Rider wrote:

Please either discard its address from your adress list or translate all
the above discussions into the French language, as you may choose. ;-)

Err... /flash/ *is* french, right?

Pete D
"Sosumi" wrote in message

"/dev/null" <nntp.server.net> wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message
[...]

Well that is a load of BULLSHIT!!! The flash synch speed is the maximum

shutter speed that doesn't cause the shutter curtains to be fully open.
Any faster than the design synch speed will cause a shutter shadow on the
image. What you are seeing is the flash duration, not synch speed. I can
do the same effect on bulb. The shortest duration of the SB-800 is
1/41600 sec, that can freeze pretty much anything.

According to your nick: dev or deaf? Null in many languages means zero or
nothing. So you´re a deaf nothing, right?
Read some books, dipstick..

What a wanker of a post, just threw out any credibility you ever had, get
some manners stupido!

Robert
"Pete D" wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message

"/dev/null" <nntp.server.net> wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message
[...]

Oh the irony. You actually suggesting someone else needs manners. Hypocrite.

Pete D
"Robert" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message

"/dev/null" <nntp.server.net> wrote in message

"Sosumi" wrote in message
[...]

Nice first post Robert, really enjoyed it!!!

1 2 3